Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a lot of problems with my truck running really rich at idle. so rich that sometimes fuel comes out of the exhaust pipe.

i think the problem is my fuel pressure. I'm running a 650cfm edelbrock avs carb and a 110gph holley mech. fuel pump.
edelbrock states that the carb should be ran with more than 6psi. the fuel pump i have says it runs at 6.5psi up to 8 or 9psi(i forgot which).

i havent been able to get a fuel pressure gauge hooked up yet to check because i havent felt like ordering the -an fitting i need for it. here are my engine specs:

1971 350 SBC 2-bolt main bored .030 over
10:1 Compression Ratio
Speedpro hypereutectic flattop pistons
Holley SysteMaxII kit:
______ Holley aluminum heads,
______ Lunati cam(235/[email protected] - .490" lift)
______ Holley high-rise dual plane intake
Harland Sharp alum. roller rocker arms
MSD Pro-Billet distributor #8361
MSD Blaster2 Coil
MSD 6AL Ignition box
MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor spark plug wires
Edelbrock Thunder Series 650cfm AVS carb
Hedman Elite shortie headers
Professional Products 8" degreed balancer
TCI heavy duty 168-tooth flexplate
Jegs prostartr starter
Moroso 7-quart oilpan
K&N 4" Open Element air filter

if it turns out that it is my fuel pressure, what would be a good regulator to get? i would like to get one with -an fittings. all my other stuff is -06 size.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
You need a regulator. Is that what you needed to hear? I would suggest Mallory 4307. Much better than the Holleys.

Chris

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
TurboS10 said:
You need a regulator.....
Absolutely the correct advice. Never and I mean NEVER run a high volume high pressure fuel pump without a regulator.

Centerline

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think i picked out this aeromotive one to use. it already has the -06an ports on it that i need. its adjustable between 5-12psi.

where would the best place to mount it at be? would i have a problem mounting it directly after the fuel pump? as in, its connected to the fuel pump??

·
wind & fire = guides to power
1,529 Posts
Run a line from your pump to the firewall. There you will have the regulator mounted. From the regulator run a line back to the carb trying to keep the line away from every heat source possible. If you are real ambitious you can put a trans cooler in front of the radiator(inline between the pump and regulator). it will not only cool your fuel but will act like an accumulator if pressure drops. Also some heat wrap over the fuel line on its return to the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts