Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
What car? 450 ft lbs is more then a lot of these cars came with.

Even if a specific car was produced with a v8 or big block, some of the high power cars had additional reinforcements that the lesser models didn't get. Ie, high hp Mopars.

Unibodies are predominately spot welded. They loosen up from flexing over time. As stated there can be damage. Cracked quarter panels, permanent twist, crack a windshield, etc from flexing. There is a tremendous benefit whether drag car or g-machine to installing them. Even better if they are tied into the floor pan in at least a few places. They'll take a lot of the squeaks and rattles out of a car and help the suspension work. Welded is the key. Bolt on ones just tend to wallow out the holes you drilled to install them so they don't do much.

If you don't think you car is flexing jack one front wheel up under the control arm and see if the door still opens and closes as nice. Some cars the door won't close if you can even get it open.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sorry for the slow reply. The weekend is really the only true time i can respond and even that is not guaranteed.

Chevette.

And i forgot to emphasize the 444tq that the 383HT makes. Really from 2000rpm and above. That may affect the car even more than the HP?

Drag only, no street use.

i want to gear enough to run in the 11 sec bracket, but not so much to risk wheelspin---so maybe 3.73? With 11.5 x 29 slicks. Likely a custom aftermarket 12 bolt as the stock rear can't handle it. Front suspension "generally" will remain stock.

My original plan was to take two 1/4"(or thicker if necessary) metal plates, about at least 35" inches wide by about 12-14" long(or longer) and bolt or weld one to the bottom of the floor and one to the top----thus forming a "sandwich." This sandwich would be located where the rear seats would normally be. Then weld the ladder bar brackets to the bottom one. i could then use the stock floor for the coilover mounts (?).

i think have seen this setup(or similar) before on a fast nova, so i think the concept has merit. (i believe Joe Sherman's son?)

However, i'm into doing things the right way, the first time. So, if the above concept is stupid, then please indicate why so.

It may seem like i'm trying to skip steps, but for this project i just want to go bracket racing without getting too complicated.
I really can't picture your idea. Normally you use box tubing as frame ties and this gives you a place to mount a proper crossmember for the ladder bars. A lot of these unibody frame rails are little more then 10-12 gauge
sheet metal so when you start moving attachments points reinforcement needs to be done. Chevette's are tin cans. I would be considering a cage.

Somewhere in all of this your safety and the safety of those around you needs to be considered. You don't want stuff ripping out of the car at 100mph.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts