Hot Rod Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
reskin an altered

I worked with Joe Davis (RIP) who was partners with wes Ingram and ran a Fiat altered. Joe was a supervisor at the Mustang assembly plant and the first time a New Mustang ran at the old Fremont drag strip everyone stopped to watch a stock mustang on the drag strip. Jo decided to build a mustang gasser, He tried to get scrap body panes from weld test but Ford wouldn't let him get scrap out of the dumpster so he ordered new skin panels and built the Colt 45 Mustang. body and mounted it on the altered chassis.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
i may just go that route.

i am familiar, at least visually, with the Colt 45. But was/is this an altered, gasser, or funnycar or all 3? The tilt front end suggests gasser, but there's nothing that says an altered or fc can't have a tilt frontend?

Also, i hate to rub it in, but will anyways since i'm GM (specifically chevy) biased; The car had a chevy engine? :p

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
colt 45 engine

the Davis and ingrahm Fiat altered was chevy powered. They put the mustang together with what they had. One of the engineers I worked with asked the director of
Ford racing ( Joe Pas ? ? ? Why Ford didn't sponsor the team. He replied they weren't a well known team. They had set several records and were well known on the west coast. they did not have connections in the Detroit area. The local chevy dealership in San Jose started to sponsor them with the latest chevy racing parts as long as they had lettering a foot high on both sides of the mustang saying chevy powered.

·
True Hotrodder
1,950 Posts
I'm going to ask two questions.

Have you ever driven a short wheel based drag racing vehicle before and have you ever built a short wheel based vehicle before?

Believe me, if no is the answers - you are in a world of hurt and in for a big surprise. I jump between a 98" WB Monza and a 235" RaceTech Dragster - it's like going from pure daylight to instant midnight.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Colt 45 name history

Joe sold the original fiat AA altered chassis -mustang body car and it was raced a while then a couple longer chassis mustang body cars were built by different owners, still using thColt 45 name. Joe went on to build an altered T bucket known as jewel t which set several records. It was unique since he ran adjustable rear suspension and had a starter in the car. He used white shoe polish on the wheels on the wheelie bars to track body roll and adjust the rear coil overs.
you can see the shoe polish in the pict with the left wheel up
https://www.wesingram.com/jewel.htm
some of the early pict's of colt 45 and the T will have disc wheels or moon covers on the front. . joe figured you wouldn't get a red light on the old timing lights until the light beam was broken then hit the electric eye a second time With moons you could travel about 12 to 14 inches before getting a red light. Joe then reset the front axle cockeyed so the front wheels went thru the light one after the other. he said that gave him over 20 feet at the finish line. when competitors looked at the car they asked how he kept it straight. He said he didn't have enough money to build a new chassis after getting the car upside down. He never did get upside down.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.