Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '36 Ford Trunkback Tudor Sedan I just picked up 2 weeks ago.The previous owner is 89 yrs old and he didn't drive it very much, as you can imagine. Also the gas gauge doesn't work and he only put a small amount of gas in it. Now I got it and the fuel filter gets clogged up pretty quickly so I have to have the tank boiled out and sealed. I can't take the filler neck off because it came on the tank. I took out the 4 bolts holding it in the frame and disconnected the fuel line, removed the sending unit and I can't get the tank out. Any literature or suggestions? It is all stock and I don't have all the manuals yet, some are on backorder. Please help me any way you can. Thanks.:smash:

·
Slow but willing learner
5,407 Posts
I've got a '36 Ford Trunkback Tudor Sedan I just picked up 2 weeks ago.The previous owner is 89 yrs old and he didn't drive it very much, as you can imagine. Also the gas gauge doesn't work and he only put a small amount of gas in it. Now I got it and the fuel filter gets clogged up pretty quickly so I have to have the tank boiled out and sealed. I can't take the filler neck off because it came on the tank. I took out the 4 bolts holding it in the frame and disconnected the fuel line, removed the sending unit and I can't get the tank out. Any literature or suggestions? It is all stock and I don't have all the manuals yet, some are on backorder. Please help me any way you can. Thanks.:smash:
The tank just sits on top of the frame. Sometimes the exhaust has to come loose to remove it but it should come out. The neck screws into the tank on a '36 but they can be very hard to get out. I had a '47 Ford with a rusty fuel tank that I successfully sealed with an aviation slushing compound but I am not sure it is worth it. I bought a replacement fuel tank for my '36 for 215 dollars. It seems to me that is the way to go.

John L

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John, thanks for the input, but I have to ask you if you did in fact remove one. My bolts are out and it seems as I have to lift the side with the filler tube and slide it to one side to take it down at an angle. I can lift it up about 1/2" but the bugger won't slide over. The filler tube is welded on, I guess its all one piece so I can't remove that. I'll go back out and see if the exhaust system is restricting me.Thanks.
Don Schreier:smash:

·
Slow but willing learner
5,407 Posts
John, thanks for the input, but I have to ask you if you did in fact remove one. My bolts are out and it seems as I have to lift the side with the filler tube and slide it to one side to take it down at an angle. I can lift it up about 1/2" but the bugger won't slide over. The filler tube is welded on, I guess its all one piece so I can't remove that. I'll go back out and see if the exhaust system is restricting me.Thanks.
Don Schreier:smash:
Yes Don, I did remove mine. I don't know what you might be running into. Maybe there is something interfering like the floor mashed down or something. I wish I could help you more. I did take my old one out and install the new one. I remember I had to fool with it some but it did come out.

Good luck,
John L

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.