Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 26t model with surface rust and some pitting. I have used a cupped wire brush and fiber backed discs on a angled grinder to remove the rust.Can anyone tell me what to use to treat the rust pits before bondoing and primer?

·
Registered
323 Posts
the best way is to use a small sandblaster like a gilmore or sandy-jet they don't warp the metal blast the area untill it is flat grey in color this removes all the rust, if you leave any rust at all it will return with a vengence then treat the area with a metal prep, an acid based solvent that etches the metal wash thoroughly,dry, sand and prime then use a polyester type putty to fill the pits, smooth then prime again. Now there are products out there that convert rust into something else like "rust mort" or " sem rust seal" they will do the job but I don't know if they are permanent

·
Registered
323 Posts
I deal with Sherwin Williams they can supply a sandy jet or e mail me I can get one for you they run about 50 for the sandy jet but any auto paint store should be able to get one for you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.