Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of building a custom bed for my old pick-up and have about gotten all the fab work completed. I plan to put a coat of epoxy primer before starting the blocking and surfacing. My question, as I get a panel or section sanded how do I keep that area from surface rusting while I work on the nest area? It may be a month or so until I get it all done since I am only able to work on it an hour or two each afternoon.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Capt'n Jim

·
Registered
202 Posts
I sandblasted a 52 truck frame and body in my driveway. What I did was to sandblast until about 2:00 in the afternoon and then paint what I blasted. Put everything back in the garage and kept doing this until done. I rolled the cab around like a giant beach ball. I put plastic down to try to catch most of the sand, screened and put back in the sand blaster the next day. Cheap harbor freight baster.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,984 Posts
WD-40?
You'll be using W&G remover before spraying anyways. Just do a good job of it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Pain in the butt but I mix a small amount of paint to coat any "new" exposed metal. Mixing using a small measuring cup helps eliminate waste. Practice gets you closer to mixing the proper amount for each section. Gun clean up is the same, wash thinner is cheap compared to the epoxy.

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,645 Posts
i've had very good success with por15 metal prep. i sandblasted my bed, brushed on metal prep and got waylaid by other projects. it was rust free for 5 months of a very humid summer. also good for bare metal that you have on hand for fabrication

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
We used to use a zinc primer that was yellowish/greenish in color. It is a 1K primer, and we had a dedicated primer gun that it was always in.
As soon as you have clean metal, cover it with that stuff. It doesn't take much, just one light coat. It sticks like nothing else, and makes a good guide coat if you were doing Metal Finishing. Or you can scuff it and put plastic filler, 2K primer, or epoxy right over the top of it.
This zinc primer is actually the best foundation you can build off, over bare metal for a show quality paint job.
I will do some digging and see if I can get you some good part numbers for it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much to everyone for the suggestions and advice! all of your comments were helpful! I am thinking now the metal prep or zinc primer is the way to go for my project.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We used to use a zinc primer that was yellowish/greenish in color. It is a 1K primer, and we had a dedicated primer gun that it was always in.
Sorry if I am asking a stupid question, but am I mis-reading this or is the zinc primer a one part primer that can stay in the gun? If so it would be better solution than rattle cans or constant clean-up after each area. Do you "seal" the gun after each use?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i've had very good success with por15 metal prep. i sandblasted my bed, brushed on metal prep and got waylaid by other projects. it was rust free for 5 months of a very humid summer. also good for bare metal that you have on hand for fabrication

Does the metal prep need any kind of "wash" before skim coating or sealing primer? Thanks for the input!

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,645 Posts
Does the metal prep need any kind of "wash" before skim coating or sealing primer? Thanks for the input!
no wash or prep needed after por15 metal prep. look at the por15 site, all their products are documented very well. for the record, it was 5 years before i got back to working on the bed. even then it was only lightly rusted, but i did blast it again. the bed was the first thing i fabricated and the last thing i finished/painted on 58 truk (8 yr project)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts