Hot Rod Forum banner

Rust removal from Lower A arms other suspension parts

7K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  grandpaws 57 
#1 ·
I saw a "Trucks" show yesterday and they brieftly spoke about using Arm and Hammer super washing soda in water (1tsp to 1 pint ???) with the part mostly submerged and the negative clamp from a charger attached to it. The positive lead was to be connected to another piece of metal sitting in the water but not the part. The charger was supposed to be set at 2 amps and within "48hours" the submerged portion of the part would be free of rust! Sounds great as I've worn myself ragged blasting, grinding, brushing, sanding and swearing the rust off the lower A arm on one side with very slow progress. Anybody have any insight on this? How about the frame where it would be impossible to do this? I want to get it cleaned up and painted before I press new bushings in and reassemble the front end of my 55 Ford with Granada spindles.

Thanks a lot!

Ron :welcome:

#28 ·
your welcome
if budget is a problem, you can do it at home (90%+ good) but it is ALOT of hours, atleast a day on each door
paint stripper the inside then basically follow randy's method in this post link, then do a electrolytic soak to get most of the hidden rust

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/secrets-surface-rust-removal-revealed-55679.html

over simplified in a nut shell that is what auto restoration depot is going to do....(but not with acid)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.