Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for someone who has had some personal experience with this swap.I am trying to decide if I want to install mustang II ifs and four link rear on original frame,or do a whole frame swap.What I have to start with is a stripped down rolling frame.the frame does have one crack that has been crudely repaired with a piece of metal welded over the crack.the crack is located behind the passenger side rear tire about 16 inches from the rear of the bed.Any advice pros and cons are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I hear a s-10 is a nice swap on these trucks.You may also want to look at 78to 88 elcomino or Malabo.I 've got one set up for my 47 ford 4dr.I took a stock frame cut the inside at both ends where the frame center section widens out and added in my new side rails.Welded these in place so wheel base stayed the same.Then cut off old center section and welded outside edge of frame. This way wheelbase never moved and no special fitting or measuring. Fits under ford great as i've had body test fit to frame already.Wheel base could easily be changed by using square tube that fit inside each other and move to what you need then weld them together.All I have to do now is sand blast and paint it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
That body design was used from late 1947 through early 1955. I've not seen in person a swap of this kind but have seen, on the net, guys doing it even under Ford and Dodge and other trucks too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts