Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
just a kid and his truck
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my friend hit a curb in his 94 s 10 and snaped the axel after he had the truck for 30 min... its a 4.3 with a whipple charger... more than he needs and can handle. so hes tryn to tell me one of the mid to early 60's camero rear ends will bolt right up to his s 10... im calling BS on it but i'd like some more know how thanks a lot.

·
Registered
392 Posts
It wont "bolt right up". If he has a 2wd s10, he will need to lengthen the driveshaft, and cut, reposition, and weld the spring perches, and even then, the rearend will stick out about 2 1/2" more on each side.

If it is a 4wd s10, it will only stick out about 1" more on each side.

67-69 Camaro, 68-72 nova ~60" across wheel flange surface

2wd s10 ~55" across

4wd s10 ~58" across

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I just swapped in a 8.5" 10-bolt from a 2000 Blazer. It has different e-brake cables then my 87 (both cables go up the driver's side) and is about 1" longer from axle centerline to pinion yoke centerline so the driveshaft most likely will have to be shortended.

It has 30-spline axles and should be about as strong as a 12-bolt.

They are out there but are hard to find. You have to get one out of a truck with L35 V6 (the high output 4.3L which is vin code W) and a 5-speed from 96-up. To get the disc brakes you need a Blazer axle from 98-up.

Take a look at this link
http://forums.s-series.org/viewtopic.php?t=33490

·
just a kid and his truck
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replys y'll. he hit a curb and broke stuff and is looking for a cheap way out, we have rears laying around so he was telling me it would work, just had to tell him he was wrong. He's geting a whole rear from some one FL.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Florida is kinda far from VA for an s10 rear, no? I couild get you one for the price you'll spend on fuel just getting there and back. I'm about 4hrs south of Richmond, but you could find a pile of them local, I would think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts