Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have been reading and reading and cant find my answer anywhere . What im building is a 2000 s10 ext cab truck . the power plant is a 5.3 swap with a t76 turbo . this should get me into the low 11s high 10s . i dont want the rear bars out my window . Its a street truck / daily driver and rather not advertise how fast with showing the bars. anyhow what id like to do is put the main hoop as far forward as i can .Like right over my head, is that legal ? the bar the harness mounts to would have to be bent to clear the seats some . The rear bars i would like to run 90 degrees to the main hoop then down 90 as close tho the glass as i can get them. Maybe a X brace below the window on the bars to help stiffen them up more . Thats where im not sure if ill be ok . the rules if i read correct say no less that 30 degree angle on the rear bars so would i pass tech ?

something like the pic i posted

Thanks for any insight

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks i have a rule book but how its written isnt real clear . It says the rear bars cant be less than 30 degrees but it doesnt say how long they have to go at a 30 degree angle .What i was looking at doing is 90 degrees . But i might be able to drop the rear bars 5" from the top of the hoop as per the rules then go 30 degrees then straight down inside the cab

there is a company that makes something similar but they are super exp and have a dragster style cage around the driver . no way i want that for a daily driver

·
Registered
906 Posts
Isxtreme,

I read the rule to say that you can not place the main bar any further back than 6 inches behind the drivers head. So you want the main bar right over your head which is legal.
Then the rule for the brace is that it can not be any lower than 5 inches below the top bar. You want to have this brace extend straight back to the back of the cab then straight down to the floorboard. Again this is legal. I think I would run a brace from the back brace forward and down to the floor at the 30 degrees asked for in the rules.

Scholman

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
You can construct a full peripheral roll cage (not roll bar), then construct a Funny Car cage inside that. That will allow you to run at NHRA events without the rear down bars. I have seen several trucks built that way down through the years. Contact the tech department at NHRA for confirmation or talk with your Division Director. Yeah, you can still get in and out of the truck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies all , i think a full funny car cage for a mostly street truck would be a over kill. Yeah the bars would be hidden and not threw the rear but getting in and out seems like it bould be a pain in the rear . Ive also read about street accidents with a full cage and no helmet can be deadly . Not sure how true this is but dont want to find out the hard way .

Ill have to find out who my division director is and make sure what i do is legal . At last resort i would take them out the window or maybe they would be below the window ,threw the bed to the frame since i have a ext cab . I found a pic of a simple bar done in a ext cab.

The sleeper look is pretty important in my build , not for street racing but my own satisfaction :)

Attachments

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Bob Lang, division director
366 Easton Road, Warrington, PA 18976
215-343-2558; fax, 215-343-0159
e-mail, [email protected]

Ryck Campbell, tech director
315-335-8295
Monday and Thursday, 7-9 p.m. ET
e-mail, [email protected]

Northeast Division: Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland
Northeast Division: Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland,
Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island,
Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia; Maritime Provinces, Eastern Ontario, and Quebec,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.