Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys have a question for you guys out there running s10 v8 swap headers shorty style from any brand name for a 350 chevy.

Do you have issues with the number 3 cylinder spark plug hitting the number one cylinder pipe and having to cut it to drop it down to get clearance so you can get your number plug in. I had to do that with mine and now am having issues with the passenger side tubes burning up my number 6 and 4 plub wire boots. I am using high temp wire's and boots but no luck. I am using autolight 26 spark plugs.

I was wondering is there a set of s10 shorty headers out there that will just bolt up the the dang block and be able to get your plugs in with out having to cut the dang tube and have enough clearance for your plug wires? I had to do this to both a set of headman shorty headers and also a set of flowtech headers that I have now.

When I bought the 96 s10 they put a set of headman 69530 shorty headers on it and I had chevy vortec heads with straight plugs and according to summit the previous headers I had of the headman 69530 are for gm aluminum angle plug heads only but they fit with out having to do all that but I did not reuse them. I went with instead a set of flowtech and had to cut the one up etc with everything as stated above. What is the best overall shorty headers I can get for clearance and ease of use and changin out plugs etc. I don't want to have to use shorty plugs and other crap. Also what advantage does the ball socket flange have over the standard style collector?

Thanks
Eric

·
Registered
15,316 Posts
eric32 said:
Hello guys have a question for you guys out there running s10 v8 swap headers shorty style from any brand name for a 350 chevy.

Do you have issues with the number 3 cylinder spark plug hitting the number one cylinder pipe and having to cut it to drop it down to get clearance so you can get your number plug in. I had to do that with mine and now am having issues with the passenger side tubes burning up my number 6 and 4 plub wire boots. I am using high temp wire's and boots but no luck. I am using autolight 26 spark plugs.

I was wondering is there a set of s10 shorty headers out there that will just bolt up the the dang block and be able to get your plugs in with out having to cut the dang tube and have enough clearance for your plug wires? I had to do this to both a set of headman shorty headers and also a set of flowtech headers that I have now.

When I bought the 96 s10 they put a set of headman 69530 shorty headers on it and I had chevy vortec heads with straight plugs and according to summit the previous headers I had of the headman 69530 are for gm aluminum angle plug heads only but they fit with out having to do all that but I did not reuse them. I went with instead a set of flowtech and had to cut the one up etc with everything as stated above. What is the best overall shorty headers I can get for clearance and ease of use and changin out plugs etc. I don't want to have to use shorty plugs and other crap. Also what advantage does the ball socket flange have over the standard style collector?

Thanks
Eric

This is about as good as it gets.

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/product_info.php?products_id=143

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/product_info.php?products_id=142

Bogie

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am currently running some 1 3/4" primary sanderson shorties (#CS13) on a '96 s-10 SBC with angle plug Brodix heads, the steering shaft goes thru the #3 & #5 tubes, I'm pretty sure they are for straight plug heads since it took some denting of the #1 tube to clear the #3 plug etc. I'm saving up for some 1 7/8" fenderwell headers, but then again, mine is race only. Is this a street ride? are you still running the straight plug vortecs?

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah my s10 is a street ride. On both of my s10's I had to cut the number 1 cylinder tube to clear my spark plug. Could not even screw in my spark plug at all. Even a shorter plug would not work. This is with both a set of headman headers and also a set of flowtech. From what I am guessing the world and dart iron eagle heads have there spark plugs in the same spot as stock factory gm heads. I would swap out for a full length headers but they don't allow me to have my oil filter on my block have to use a oil relocator kit and I always hated that. Thanks for the info. It seems no matter what brand I use I will have that problem wich I think is crap. Why don't these guys check for things like this when they design them.
Eric

·
Registered
15,316 Posts
eric32 said:

Thanks
Eric
I guess I need to comment further, I run some really big tires, they scrape the frame as it is, there's no space on mine for header tubes in the fender wells.

I don't even use the same bolt place to place on the headers, I put 'em together so they're easy to work on first and worry about the architecture later. So some holes use stainless ARP header bolts, some with stainless studs and a hex nut, and others stainless Allen heads. Stainless being the operative word here, makes getting the thing apart a whole lot easier. The stainless fastener thing goes all the way to the tail pipe tips.

Spark plugs are just a pain, with straight in plugs the problem isn't bad, as usual angle plug heads make for an exercise.

The ball and socket is suppose to provide some differential movement between the headers and the rest of the exhaust system which greatly reduces the loose header bolt syndrome. But alas they get rusty and stick together. I include a short stainless flex coupling in all my systems to isolate the engine movement from the body movements within the exhaust system and use flanged joints with copper, aluminum, or carbon/carbon gaskets. Same type gaskets go between the header flange and head, never treated paper or graphite as that stuff just disappears if a leak forms and they age harden and disintegrate.

Bogie

·
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator
937 Posts
I MUCH prefer the Hedman long tubes, P/N 69490, IMHO, they fit much better than ANY of the shorties, and make more power as well, no matter what kind of engine combo you're running, it will run better with real long tubes and some real scavenging going on. Over the years, I've convinced a BUNCH of guys to go long tube with their V8 S10 swaps, and very few would ever go back to shorties. :cool:

·
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator
937 Posts
Dave, the only options I know of for a BBC/S10 swap is a kit from Hedman, or custom from Stahl or Lemons, the latter two are kinda pricey, last price I saw on the Hedman kit was less than $200. Another option for a kit would be www.headersbyed.com , the guy definitely knows his tubes, :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.