Hot Rod Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,907 Posts
Thanks, Pugsy. Unfortunately, the reflection only lasts until the surface rust takes over.
I don't think you understood the point.
See the reflection of the fluorescent light fixture going straight across the panel even though the panel is curved?
That indicates there are zero waves or defects in your shape.
Sweet.

·
Dimwit
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Continued working on the driver's rear fender, trying to match the S10 body line on the leading edge of the fender. Decided I needed to complete the top and bottom portions of the leading edge, then fill in with the body line. I've recently seen a patch panel mig welding video by Fitzee on Youtube, so I tried his method. He tacks pieces of the patch together, one on top of the other, then cuts through both pieces at a 45 degree angle. The result is a smaller gap for the butt weld than you would get cutting the pieces at a right angle. The key is to pay attention to which piece is on top when you start cutting the 45 degree angle. Oh well. It worked out fine. Ran the welded piece through the English wheel for an hour or so and it came out alright.

·
Dimwit
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Closed out the work on the leading edge of the driver's rear fender today. I fit one of the pieces I had worked on for the S10 body line to the top piece I assembled yesterday, then trimmed the bottom piece to fit and welded both into place. I'll need to fit one more piece behind these for the wheel well opening before I assemble the remaining pieces.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,907 Posts
That's some really nice shaping there.

·
Dimwit
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Had a few free hours today before the turkey was served, so I patched in a couple of pieces of the driver's rear fender. I'll need to work the last piece with the English wheel a bit as it curled during the welding process.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts