Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took out my brake master cyl., drained it and it has all kinds of Black gunk inside. Can I use non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner, to wash out all that gunk? The can says something like to not get it on plastic or paint. I don;t want to ruin the o-rings if I don't have to. Thanks.

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,157 Posts
You need to dissemble the cylinder to properly clean it and protect the internals. Don't get brakleen on the rubber parts inside! All that being said if your master is black with junk in the bottom it is time for replacement or at the minnimum a rebuild kit. Don't take chances with your brakes...please.

·
1,157 Posts
Yeah it could very well have been your problem. Just tear it all down and wash the heck out of it. CLEEN is the requirement. Check the cylinder for rust or corrosion and follow the kit instructions for any honing needed. should fix ya right up..

·
1,157 Posts
Brake clean is a good cleaner chlorinated I personally think works better but I know if your in California only non chlorinated is available. I have used all kinds of different cleaners over the years and find brake clean works the best for small parts like master cylinders.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts