Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok currently I am building a break in stand for my engine (its something to do and is good welding practice) anyway I am currently at the point of needing a gas tank.

My options are a fuel cell for anywhere from $90-$115 or a gas can rigged together.

My question is how unsafe is the second idea? Or does anyone else have a better idea?

·
Registered
96 Posts
go to a place that sells boats, and get a tank for a outboard motor. I have a 5 gallon one, it is made of the same plastic as gas cans, has a fuel gage, and a fuel pick-up for hooking your line to. You can put a plug in the pick-up and transport fuel without worrying about spilling it. comes in handy all the time, works good if you don't know the condition of a new projects fuel system, I keep an electric fuel pump handy too. I think the tank cost me $30 or so. wont be without one again

Gary

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Anything should work as long as its sealed, vented, and away from anything moving and anything producing heat.

I like ponchos idea tho. No sense spending the money on a fuel cell unless your going to drop it in the car afterwards.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gahi said:
go to a place that sells boats, and get a tank for a outboard motor. I have a 5 gallon one, it is made of the same plastic as gas cans, has a fuel gage, and a fuel pick-up for hooking your line to. You can put a plug in the pick-up and transport fuel without worrying about spilling it. comes in handy all the time, works good if you don't know the condition of a new projects fuel system, I keep an electric fuel pump handy too. I think the tank cost me $30 or so. wont be without one again

Gary
I thought about this also since I have a spare one sitting around.

I like the idea of the mower tank as I have 3 of them sitting around, but the problem is they are small. I need something that will run atleast the 30mins for cam breakin with out being refilled.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Buy an electric pump, run its feed tube into the tank of a car or truck you already have. Then you have nearly 15 gallons on tap and no messy cleanup to deal with.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
TANK

On my stand i used a dry sump oil tank. They hold like 1 1/2 gals of fuel. They are made from aluminum so they look cool. If you go to a dirt track swap meet you can usually score one with slight damage for 5 or 10 dollars... They have all kinds of fitting ports welded into them. They are round so they fit in small places. compaired to the bigger tanks.. All around trick deal....

Keith

1 - 7 of 7 Posts