Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Steve here. I have an issue that has probably been covered here before. I have just finished restoring a '70 Jeepster Commando and have added power steering using a Saginaw 605 box (the one with the snap ring holding the cover on). After getting it going, and driving it a bit, I can't get the cover to stop leaking. I took the cover off and found some rust pitting in the o-ring sealing area so I cleaned it up and replaced the o-ring but it still leaks. So I ordered a rebuilt 605 off ebay. When I opened the box, they had sent what I think is an 800 (with the 4 bolt cover). Before I take the old box off, I thought I would try to find out if these two are interchangeable. Also, if they are, is one better than the other? Or should I just try to send it back? Thanks for any info. Steve

·
More for Less Racer
20,945 Posts
I don't know the full interchangeability issue, there might be a need for a different rag joint or different pitman arm because of shaft size/spline count.....but the 605 box is a known piece of junk.
The 800 series is much better, the 605 is a light duty box.....they even gave trouble in the metric G-body/A-body GM midsize cars(Malibu, Monte Carlo, Cutlass, Regal, Grand Prix, etc) when they started using them in 1978.

·
Administrator
8,477 Posts
Consider yourself lucky.
Put the 800 in that bad boy.
Get the other needed pieces to finish it up.
Throw the 605 against the nearest door you need to keep open

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I thought since many reviews I've read lately made it pretty clear that the 605 is not favored by a lot of guys. I will call the company in the morning and make sure they will take the 605 for a core ($140!). I had used a 605 years ago in a '55 Chevy since back then that is what a lot of guys were using so just did the same thing with the Commando. This is the last thing on my check-off list on the Commando so I'm so glad to get it done. Thanks for the info. Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, got the 800 box mounted and the flare-to-o ring adapters are ordered. So, now I find that the tapered hole in the pitman arm is too small for the Jeep tie rod end. Since the new pitman arm came with the 800 box I assume it would be for a '70s mid-size GM but the one pulled up by my friendly auto parts guy had a left hand thread. Nothing is easy, right? Anyway, does anyone here have any ideas? I tried using the Moog tie rod size chart but didn't find anything. Maybe I will have to go with a different pitman arm.?

·
Registered
899 Posts
You could possibly get a tapered reamer and open up the hole in the pitman arm if the difference isn't too great. I imagine you want to retain a good amount of 'meat' on the end of the arm.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,828 Posts
You don't need the adapters per say. You can use a thin screw driver and pry out the flare in the bottom of the hole. Older boxes are SAE and newer ones are MEtric but the thread are so close they will work anyway.
The Jeep is probably 10 degree taper and you have the Pitman with a 7 degree hole.
Ream to suit.
I believe the both pitmans fit the box outputs so try swapping them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts