Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering using a local franchised company called Redi-Strip to immerse my Chevelle body in a tank to remove the paint and then the rust. The body does have a fair amount of rust in the trunk and floorboards. I am going to replace the bad parts with patch panels. I have seen parts come from the tanks and they look like brand new stampings when they come out.

Anyone done this, advantages/disadvantages

I know sand blasting will work, but this can cause heat distortion if done incorrectly.

Which would you do? Blast or Dunk

Brent

·
8,453 Posts
I like the dunk approach for a full car strip. No way you can match the coverage of a chemical tank strip with any kind of blast. Just be sure to carefully wash out any chemical that might have built up in the seams and crevices. Can cause havoc with paint.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
64, you are fortunate having a Redi-Strip available to you. That is the way to go. Sand blasting is a messy job and you can never really get rid of all the sand. Also, the sheetmetal on post war automobiles is subject to warpage, particuarly the large panels such as your hood, doors, and roof. You have to treat the metal immediately after blasting or the rust starts all over again. The Redi-Strip is a thrre step process that I have described on a previous post. The key is the final dip, which neutralizes the previous dips and adds a coating that will prevent rust from forming. A disadvantage is paint will be removed from some areas that you can not access to repaint. I was concerned about that when I had my PU dipped in the late 70s, but I still have it and no rust has shown up as of now!!

Trees

1 - 4 of 4 Posts