Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,
Can any one help me. I just bought a 20 gallon sand blaster, to get rid of rust and other junk on the body of my 1950 chevy truck. For sum reason the sand keeps getting moist(wet), in result it jams. I noticed that where my 125 psi air compresser connects to it it leeks some kind of liquid. sometimes it dosent get wet and it works great for about 2 mins then i have to wait 10 mins for it to gain enough pressure. Dose anyone have any advice.

thx
spike
My Web PAge

·
Registered
760 Posts
you need a dryer on your compressor to remove the water.

Moisture Separator

Item No. - 34103
Moisture and oil separators are an unbeatable combination for helping you get professional results. Together, they will remove 99.9% of the contaminates that can ruin paint jobs and painting equipment. The oil separator is a coalescing type and filters particles as small as 0.3 microns. The moisutre separator ensures dry air to the gun and takes out particulates down to 40 microns. Both have 1/2" NPT ports and handle up to 150 psi. Use both, connected in series, for best results.

·
Registered
32 Posts
you do need a seperator there are many with lots of price ranges.. tell you what I do.. after the seperator I have a piece if 2'' pipe about two feet long, I have both ends reduced down to the 3/8 air line. On the inside of the pipe I stuff it with kotex napkins. This will remove any moisture that the separator misses. even the hose laying on the cold floor can create moisture. Have you thought about putting the sand in an oven and baking the moistur out..if indeed it is in the sand?

·
Registered
23 Posts
All I can say is be careful sandblasting thin sheet metal. It WILL warp your panels. Unfortunately I speak from experience. Keep your pressure low and don't blast any small pieces if they're not anchored to somthing to give them sopport or they will warp and curl. Sounds like you need a larger cfm compressor, psi ratings don't mean much. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's also very important to place the filter (air dryer) 20-25 feet from your compressor. The air coming out of your tank is likely to still be hot. Water forms when the compressed air cools down. If the air doesn't have a chance to cool before entering your filter, it will release the moisture when it does cool down. Unfortunately, that can be after it has already run through your filter. My filter is bolted to the wall and I run a 25' 3/8 hose from the compressor to the filter. That solved my sand blaster problem.

Good luck,

Steve

·
ASE Master
246 Posts
Instead of using sand I use a crushed glass, The product is made locally called Alaska Gold. I would think you could get it where you live. Any moisture in sand is a problem. I just did my 36 Ford coupe, all parts of the body. Took whole day. I swept the glass up and reused it 2 times before it was too fine. It cost $6.00 for 100# bag. Used 6 bags but better with 10. Also trick with blaster. Let the pressure pot fill with air til compressor shuts down, turn on air through gun with no sand to start, then slowly turn on sand and not full open or it will plug nozzle, turn up air as needed then more sand but not full sand. When you shut down sand purge it out first by shuttting off sand then air when sand is out of hose. Ive had to run sand through speggetti strainer before to get out chunks with bad sand.Hope this helps. Ray

·
Registered
147 Posts
In my shop I have ran 50 foot 3/4 pvc pipe in to a Sharp #880 separator so far I have hade no water problems you also need to drain your compressor tank at least 1 or 2 times a week depending on how much you use it

·
Registered
27 Posts
hey,
Does any one know where i could by Glass for a sand blaster online thx.
This might sound rilly stupid but how to you empty a compressor? :confused:

thx Spike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts