Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you sandblast a frame can you blast the steering box and all of the rest of the stuff in the front end. The body is not on the frame, it is bare of all lines also?

-Billybob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sure...BUT... be aware that sandblasting can drive in the sand past seal areas!
I sandblasted a frame off '56 Vickie that had considerable surface rust on frame & all suspension/steering components [10,000 miles/5yrs ago] What I discovered was that some of the tie rods took on a little sand. This can happen in other areas as well, so be sure to grease all you steering/suspension joints well afterwards. The steering box is another concern. You may want to drain/replace gear oil in box when finished. Overall, be sure not to concentrate the sandblasting at seal areas.
Bottom line on this subject is that it can be done with little adverses effects since steering joints & box are not high rpm mechanics that may suffer rapid wear due to a little dust....just be sure to grease joints well when done.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I think the important question here is "How much of the suspension and steering gear parts are you planning on rebuilding or replacing?". A teaspoon of sand will wreck havoc with a-frame bushings, tie rod ends, brakes, and most certainly the steering box. Now, that said, it is ok to blast the steering box if your going to dismantle it and clean/repair it before you go on down the road. The same applies to most front suspension components. The least you should do is carefully tape off the tie rod ends and so on with duct tape before beginning the blasting process. I would never use a tie rod end that has been blasted because I don't believe you can ever get all teh sand out of it, therefore it will grind itself to oblivion in short order. ??
I love technology.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I was going to put all new bushings etc. in the front end. I was mainly worried about that steering box. I think I might just tape it off and try to do it by hand with a wire brush and sand paper but I am going to try to do all of the rest...

Thanks,
-Billybob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts