Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok im ready to have my car blasted and i want to get ready to put primer on before it starts to rust , how fast does this need to be done , is there a special prep like after blast or something i should use, and what grit should i sand it before i lay my epoxy primer on. Im doing the whole car chassis, underbody, body pannels everything should i use the same epoxy primer on everything . In other words HOW TO primer my blasted car

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
I use the SPI epoxy and the reccomended procedure is to DA it with 80 grit then wax and grease remover then 2 wet/slick coats and then you are good to go with filler and blocking step..Works well for chassis parts as well..

Sam

·
Dennis W. Parks
56 Posts
I use the SPI epoxy and the reccomended procedure is to DA it with 80 grit then wax and grease remover then 2 wet/slick coats and then you are good to go with filler and blocking step..Works well for chassis parts as well..

Sam
Yep, what he said is what I would have told you. I don't know how soon you are going to be doing body work and then final painting. Assuming that it will be awhile before you are actually ready for that, don't forget that you'll need to scuff the epoxy primer again when you get ready to do the bodywork.

Dennis W. Parks
Author of automotive how-to books

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,464 Posts
Ok im ready to have my car blasted and i want to get ready to put primer on before it starts to rust , how fast does this need to be done , is there a special prep like after blast or something i should use, and what grit should i sand it before i lay my epoxy primer on. Im doing the whole car chassis, underbody, body pannels everything should i use the same epoxy primer on everything . In other words HOW TO primer my blasted car
What kind of "blasting"? You know that sand blasting can DESROY panels, I mean DE-STROY. I don't care if the guy claims to be great at it, BE CAREFUL with who you have do it!

Brian

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to have the under body,all the jams,firewall,exc sand blasted but not the panels so i shouldn't warp anything gonna da everything thing else. Also how long can i leave it in the epoxy primer cause im gonna top coat the underside,firewall,and engine bay soon after i primer but im going to let my body man do the exterior and it might be awhile before i get it to him and its going to be stored in a shop.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
You can keep it in epoxy for a long time as all that is needed is a scuffing of the epoxy before carrying on with the finish blocking and painting.

Sam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.