Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here it is..

i have a 1976 pontiac trans-am 400 i got it a few months ago and never ran the engine more than a few minutes to move it around the yard or whatever.. I recently completed the restoration to the extent of making the car road worthy and i am now trying to make it reliable.

I noticed that after 10 minutes or so the engine overheats.. So, i pull the thermostat and check for flow.. Not a whole lot of water flow.. So today i ran down to car-quest and picked up a water pump.. When i disassembled the water pump i simply removed the from plate, which had the impeller on the back. inside the pump body on the timing gear cover side, There are 2 1inch holes with tubular collars that go into the block.. I have never seen anything like that so i talked to a mechanic friend up the street, he said there is supposed to be some sort of "plate" that goes between the front of the pump housing and lines up on the 2 holes that go into the timing chain cover" .. I am guessing that would also have a recess for the impeller . Right now there is no "flow" of water it only circulates minimally when the water heats up.

Anyways.. If anyone knows what that plate is called, and if you could point me in the right direction of obtaining one, i'd really appriciate it.. I have stumped the guys at comaroland, and all the local parts stores..
Thanks

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hey there,
I know exactually what you mean. Without this plate the motor will heat up very quick and overheat. Trust me, I too ran into this same problem. That little plate guides the water water flow through those two little sleaves that go to the block. Without one of these plates, the water has no direction and therefore doesn't get pumped through the motor well enough too cool it properly.

You need one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7926168010&category=33604

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.