Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know verry little about building engines and i want to go through an engine completely. also i want to build it up to about 400 to 500 hp outa a 350 sb and i would like to know what parts to use ect... :eek:
my fahter knows how to work on engines but wont help me because he is a ford guy and i am a chevy guy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why don't you take a look a Chevy High Performance magazine. They do buildups and give you the build sheet for various motors. You didn't tell us how much money you want to spend. Getting 500 hp will require some fairly expensive heads if you do it without NO2. You could get 400 hp out of Vortec heads which are inexpensive. Also you are going to get high HP quickest with bigger cubes, so look for a SBC 400 block to start with. If you want to stay with your block, I would build a 383. Find the website <a href="http://www.speedomotive.com." target="_blank">www.speedomotive.com.</a> They sell 383 kits for $400 to $500 around which you can build the motor you want. Additionally, if you put forged pistons in the build, you then can run nitrous. So build to a 400hp spec. and add NO2 to get the extra 100. This would probably be the cheap way to get to 500. If you are starting without any intake, portable heads, exhaust, you will be spending a good $2500 including machine work.

·
Registered
148 Posts
yea that magazine had a 2 or 3 part article on how to build a nice, inexpensive 350 with vortec heads etc. to get some pretty impressive performance out of it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just got done reading David Vizard's book How to Build Small Block Chevys on a Budget. Best 20 bucks I ever spent. I'd find a copy and start there.

The Vandal

·
The Smell of Nitro in the morn
2,409 Posts
Try sites from GM.com They have super deals with warrenty. Heres one site to look at. Heres a race motor [email protected] for $3950. with warrenty.

<a href="http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Proform/Products_List.html" target="_blank">http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Proform/Products_List.html</a>

SC350SD SC, 5.7L 350ci V8 Gas Engine - Sallee Chevrolet's 350 HO 383 HP Super Deluxe. SBC crate, pcrate engine. $3,950.00

[ March 14, 2002: Message edited by: 1BAD80 ]</p>

·
Registered
135 Posts
Build it to Last, build it to kick some arse!

A 350 Chevrolet is the most economical & returns the best HP per $ of any V8 engine out there, Hands Down.

Expecting to make anything more than 400HP from a 350 usually requires a stroker crank (3.75 Scat) & throwing some mild drivibility away.

Cams over the 270 duration range for 3.75 stroke
Cams over the 260 duration range for 3.48 stroke
Cams over the 250 duration range for 3.25 stroke
Cams over the 240 duration range for 3.00 stroke

Adding more duration than this will definately add Horsepower but at the expense of Low speed torque, Idle quality, & Engine Fuel Consumption.
Be careful with cam selection as this will have the most dramatic effect on Streetability...

If this engine is intended for street duty & any idle quality is intended a
FULLY DEVIDED plenum intake manifold needs to be utilized.
Factory stock Quadrajet intake manifolds are perfectly suitable for practically all High Perf engine builds.

Mild porting work on the valve pockets,
removal of all casting bumps & flaws in the intake, heads & exhaust manifolds,
Oil passage & oil pump porting, Utilizing stock volume oil pumps,
High Ratio rocker arms 1.6 and above,

David Vizard "How to Build Horsepower" on a Budget Vol 4 ,
combined with
David Vizard's "How to Rebuld your Small Block Chevy" are excellent reads for the novice builder.

Good Luck ! :welcome:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Hey JBV, don't know where you found this thread but it's over 6 yrs. old.....don't worry we've all done the same thing, always look at the dates......very good info though!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
You want to be happy and save $$$$

Do a search on F-Birds'88 build.

Straight forward,it has Hi-Performance, and can be done very reasonable.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sorry if it looked like I was clueless... :mwink:

I was more just posting information for the masses than answering a current question I guess... ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts