Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Build it right the first time
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Friend of mine has a Small block chevy 262 that he is wishing to sell it came out of a monza or something that he had, he is selling it for 100 bucks is this engine worth me it buying for anything??? it ran fine when he pulled it out of the car it only has 39,000 miles on it, it had good oil pressure and everything... could i do anything with it or is it just junk?

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
depends on what you want, it's just about 100 HP stock, if you wanted a good MPG cruiser, it would be it, but that's it. I had bought a '81 Impala with a 267 and 60k miles, wreacked for $75, ended up junking it, to me wasn't worth the time pulling the engine out as the car it was going into ( '83 MB 240D ) rated at 67 BHP, the effort in the conversion wasn't worth the extra 48 HP ( 267 is 115 HP stock )

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
The 262 is just too small to get carried away with modifying it. A stock or mildly modified 350 is going to produce as much or more power than even a "stout" 262 would. Think about this, 1hp per cubic inch is generally respectable for the average street engine. In the case of the 262 you're looking at what, ~260hp? GM sells crate 350s for about $1700 rated at 260/290 hp. Even for a good mileage driver I don't know if you'd want that engine, a 4.3 V6 is the the same displacement, somewhat more compact and came factory rated as high as 190hp. If you have any performance ideas at all, steer clear of the 262.

·
Build it right the first time
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok well i dont have many performance idea's for it i just have an old 1976 longbed GMC High Sierra that has no motor in it i was wondering i this motor would work for a cruiser to just drive around town with ok gas mileage or if it was even tooo small for that... and i didnt know if it was even worth a 100 bucks.... thnx again guys

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
Friend of mine had one in a Monza with a 4 speed back in the day. He tried all kinds of stuff with it. Just my opinion from his experiences but it's not worth $10 and it would have to work way too hard in your truck to get decent mileage.

PS And I DO mean Ten Dollars............

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
Putting one in a truck definitelt wouldn't be a good idea. There was another thread on here posted by a guy that put a 283 in a pickup and he was commenting on how slow it felt, even with some modifications.

·
Mekanicus Automotive Group
178 Posts
262's in the life of a rodder.

I have to admit, the 262 really isn't good for much. (And note I said much.) They are good for mileage, and not much else. They are far too under-square to make a good performer. A stout 283 from a '59 Belaire can make upwards of 323 horse easy with a Duntov 30/30 cam and Powerpack heads, (I know this for fact because I've had my Belaire Dynoed) but a 262, even with the superior doublehump heads and one wicked cam can't keep up. If it came out of a Monza, it should go back in a monza, or even some small, light-weight kit-built T roadster. But, to each his own, and I've given my two-bits worth.

Speedshift.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts