Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 84 Camaro Iroc Z and it was sitting for a few years before I got it. done some work to it to get it running and staying running but it's got some issues I'm hoping one of you SBC Gurus can help me figure out.

The engine runs and starts just fine, but there is a tink sound coming from it seems like the top half of the engine. I'm new to these things but I'm also eager to figure out this problem. Where should be the first place I need to look for upper engine metal noise? I got new plugs and wires, didnt do anything. Maybe I should adjust the timing? Or do i need to check compression on each cylinder first?

I'm in need of some experienced friendly help. What would you do first to locate such an issue?

Thanks, aormz

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
You know, you could look and tinker and replace all kinds of stuff on that car and still not find whats making the noise. Since you live in a large city I would ask around and find a VERY reputable, honest (yes, there are still some around) repair shop and take the car in. Or, find a car club type guy that really knows hit chit and for a small fee can help you.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
I don`t think they made a 84 Iroc, but besides the point, these cars are notorious for exhaust manifold leaks. I`ve seen some that didn`t get any
exhaust manifold gaskets from the factory so in time once the heat begins to warp them they leak.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DoubleVision said:
I don`t think they made a 84 Iroc, but besides the point, these cars are notorious for exhaust manifold leaks. I`ve seen some that didn`t get any
exhaust manifold gaskets from the factory so in time once the heat begins to warp them they leak.

K, just wondering if I should check into this for my car?! the Title says 84, and it's an Iroc. lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1980 was the last season for IROC until it was "reborn" in 1984. For the 1984 season, up until the 1989 season, IROC chose the "newly" designed Camaro Z/28 as their ride. Chevrolet, in turn, had another idea ... make a commemorative Camaro model after the IROC series and to celebrate the "rebirth" of the IROC series.

In 1984, Chevrolet introduced the Camaro IROC-Z/28 for the 1985 model year. The IROC-Z was option B4Z on the option sheet and could only be ordered with the Z/28 option package. This new performance icon boasted skid pad numbers within the range of .90 g. The top offering under the hood was the brand new Tuned Port Injection (TPI) 305 cubic inch V-8, which boasted 215 horsepower and 275 ft/lbs of torque, the most powerful 305 automatic ever offered in an IROC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.