Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1976 chevy 350ci, 4-bolt main I am working on. The engine is low milage and in good shape. I will be putting it in a 1972 chevelle, which I want to be streetable. The heads are stock 75cc (1.72 intake, 1.50 exhaust). Can I get 300+ HP using these heads and upgrading cam, intake, and carb ? If so, what should the combo of cam, intake, and carb be ? Im planning on headers for exhaust. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
Very doubtfull..........you can find much better stock heads than those. Those must be truck heads. Most passenger car heads from 350s came with 1.94 valves.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Personaly I would'nt do any upgrades to that motor until I changed the heads. You're just waisting your time and money. Buy a set of Vortechs, a Comp Cams XE262-H or a little hotter XE268-H, an Edelbrock Performer intake and a 600 Holley or your preference and you'll have a sweet, streetable motor that will be well over 300 hp.

·
Newskool
246 Posts
I was in the same position as you are now about 4 months ago. What did I do? Bought an edelbrock performer intake, 650 thunder series carb(lots of room to grow yet small enough not to flood a near stock 350). I put this in my 74 Nova SS with a set of headers. It works great and I have plenty of room to grow from here as I see fit. I have the same heads on the motor as you do and it all works pretty slick.

From here as soon as the money becomes available I can buy a new set of heads. If your on a budget his is the route I would suggest. This way you are adding what makes sense and always allowing yourself to expand in the near future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts