Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, So i got my 1980-85 crate 350 completely factory with an edelbrock carb. I got it in my 84 jeep CJ7 and have been driving it for the past couple of months, I only put about 600 miles on it so far and drove it to work last week. It drove fine all the way there, well that after noon, it wouldnt idle at all, and wouldnt run under 1000 RPM, now it surges, spudders, and runs very rough under 1500 RPM. and even if its runnin horrible and barely idleing, if you mash the gas its VERY responsive and runs GREAT over 1500. So i changed the fuel filter, and still nothing. I rebuilt and cleaned the carb about 300 miles back, so i dont think its that. but could my timing have changed some how or somethin?? please help, this is getting very aggrivating and completely PISSING ME OFF !!! lol THanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dont have a filter in the tank, Its a new polly tank, new sender, new fuel lines, new pump, new filter, new everything. i keep thinkin the same thing, but i checked and checked and re checked all the fuel system... and its dead on everytime. im runnin out of things to check. I even checked for oil/gas in the radiator, water in the exhaust, gas or water in the oil, and once again... nothing !!! no vac. leaks or carb problems. i dont know what to do with it anymore, we've been messin with it for about 4 days now, and cant turn anything up.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey guys thanks for all the replys. upon closer inspections i noticed 2 of my plug wires were kinda melting away. (im runnin block hugger headers... a major pain in the butt) so i changed all the plug wires... still same problem. I pumped about 2 gallons of gas into a 5 gallon bucket and checked for anything, didnt look like water or nothing. I thought it was the heat and humidity when it first happened, since it was so sudden, I live in SW Louisiana, and the past week as been 100-103 degreese and rediculous humidity. but after everything i tried.. i dont know what it it. I guess ill do what all of yall say to do. Ill jus pull the carb all apart and do a cleanin job..again... and look for leaks everywhere. its just a frustrating situation now... but anymore help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
792 Posts
Have you pulled the plugs?

What color are the plugs?

Have you pulled one plug wire at a time to make sure all plugs are firing?

Have you verified vac adv diaphragm is working?

Is engine responsive to idle lean/rich screw?

Does it misbehave when engine is cool?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.