Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, starting off ill give you the life lesson lol my dad has a 83 c10 truck, it had a 305 in it. he bought a 350 bored 0.030 over with camelhumps for it. run it and it had a vibration and it smoked, so he took it over to the professionals at Central auto and he got it bored out to a 0.040 over, and rebuild top to bottom. flat tops, the whole works. cost him 2300 Canadian. brand new edelbrock intake, brand new drop in distributor, brand new holley 600 double pumper. then he took his trasmisiion to a shop and got it totally rebuild except the torque converter. the engine block number is 14010207. it has a vibration from 1500-3000 or so. on the highway it is worse. he changed flexplates and harmonic balancers, still no change, unbolted the torque, same thing, took the belts off same thing. and alos the flywheel isnt flush with the torque, there is 1/4 inch space that he has to use washers for. very discouraging. with the block number, do I need special balancer and a special flexplate? the one he switched out was off a 305. timing is spot on, not running lean, it starts within a half second and pulls STRONG. motor works excellant, just the vibration is very annoying. and he thinks it will harm more in the long run. thanks in advance, ANY help is greatly appreciated, before he looses his mind or burns it to the ground lol :smash:

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
hey guys, starting off ill give you the life lesson lol my dad has a 83 c10 truck, it had a 305 in it. he bought a 350 bored 0.030 over with camelhumps for it. run it and it had a vibration and it smoked, so he took it over to the professionals at Central auto and he got it bored out to a 0.040 over, and rebuild top to bottom. flat tops, the whole works. cost him 2300 Canadian. brand new edelbrock intake, brand new drop in distributor, brand new holley 600 double pumper. then he took his trasmisiion to a shop and got it totally rebuild except the torque converter. the engine block number is 14010207. it has a vibration from 1500-3000 or so. on the highway it is worse. he changed flexplates and harmonic balancers, still no change, unbolted the torque, same thing, took the belts off same thing. and alos the flywheel isnt flush with the torque, there is 1/4 inch space that he has to use washers for. very discouraging. with the block number, do I need special balancer and a special flexplate? the one he switched out was off a 305. timing is spot on, not running lean, it starts within a half second and pulls STRONG. motor works excellant, just the vibration is very annoying. and he thinks it will harm more in the long run. thanks in advance, ANY help is greatly appreciated, before he looses his mind or burns it to the ground lol :smash:
Did he have the assembly balanced? There is no reason you should have to use washers to space out the torque converter. It sounds like the flex plate is on backwards if you have to use washers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks for the reply, no the flewplate on the right way, its very confusing, its dished in alot more swung around the other way. and im not sure if it was balanced or not, i might have to call the shop monday

·
Registered
534 Posts
Make sure the flex plate doesnt have a weight on it. Definitely call the builder and ask if it had a balance job, check your bill see if it written on there. If the vibration is at the same RPM as before the rebuild then it probable didn't get a balance job. I feel for you guys, this all seem like a big waste of time and money. Sometimes a crate motor is appropriate and this seems like one of them.

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
If only new pistons were used, balancing would not be near as critical as if a new crank and rods were used. The pistons are recipricating weight while the crank and big end of the rods are rotating weight which make them more apt to cause vibration. Make sure you have the correct "neutral balanced" harmonic balancer and flex plate. These should not have any balance tabs added because 1986 and older 350's are internally balanced. If the motor is 86 or older and you installed a later model balancer and flexplate on it, it will vibrate.

·
More for Less Racer
19,342 Posts
There could also be balance issues if a 305 crank is used in a 350, as the 305 has much lighter pistons so even though the crank's share a stroke length and are the same casting #, the balance factor is different between the two. Some years, the 305 connecting rods are lighter also.

If this is a 1-piece rear main seal engine, the flex plate installed backwards will put the welded on weight in the wrong place and cause a vibration. Flexplate pads at converter mounting holes should be "hump side" toward converter.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The op stated the block was a 14010207 which is a 80-85 5.7L so it should have a 2 piece rear main seal and thus no weight on the flywheel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey guys, little update. dad called the engine builder, and it wasnt balanced, he said they usually dont balance unless they are raced but in this case it wasnt, so off we go, lol gotta pull the motor out, take it over and get it balanced for $1000 canadian, on top of the $2311 just paid for a rebuild.. lol oh well. it has to end somewhere eh? lol

·
More for Less Racer
19,342 Posts
Balance job is $150-200 American in my area...$1000 Canadian seems like you are being hosed far beyond the exchange rate...or is that for them to disassemble, weight match parts, balance, and reassemble, all you are doing is dropping engine off to them??

I'd still be pissed, if they did the initial build and assembly and they neglected to confirm balance prior to assembly....they should do you better than that if the are an honest reputable shop, in my opinion. They should stand behind their work unless you were offered the balance option on first go around and declined it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah nova that is totally dissemble. Me and my dad both work 50 hours a week, and the shop is only open Monday to Friday. And yes dad is upset that they didn't offer it, they never mentioned it ad dad asked if he could do any better on the price because it was just built last month lol but no, 1000 to disassemble and balance and reassemble. But still a 1 1/2 hour drive and 50 for gas in my truck lol each way. Oh well! Lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hahah yeah sorry I meant two trips, 50 there and back. 2010 silverado 5.3 with 33" BFG all terrains lol but gas is 1.40 a liter here.. It sucks lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts