Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good wrench 350 engine. I have rebuilt the Quadrajet carb, and set the idle mixture screws to 2 turns out, replaced the timing gear and timing chain, set them to 0 degrees, and reinstalled the distributor. Replaced spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, solenoid, and contact points. The motor cranks over, and I can hear a gurgling noise coming from the exhaust like it wants to start up. Does anybody have any suggestions as to where I should go from here?
Thank you

·
Registered
15,340 Posts
Can be cam but most likely distributor timing.

Let’s think about cam first. The way tge book usually tells you to set up the timing gears is with both pip marks, crank and cam gears, in the noon position. That is timing the cam to number 1, front left side as seated behind the steering wheel. Did you do this? The alternate is setting the pip marks caving each other which makes it easier to see your alignments of tge gears but has the cam positioned such that cylinder number 6 is firing.

The distributor is the most likely culprit as it seldom falls back in place aligned. Because as it is removed the spiral on the gear mesh rotates it and the still connected oil pump drive shaft. Upon reinstallation it usually drops a tooth off on reinstallation. Here to check it you’ll have to do through the drama of finding where the cam is in relation to the crank. First off you need to find when number one is ready to fire, since the crank makes two full turns for a complete 4 cycles the TDC mark appears twice one could be number 1 firing and number 6 on overlap or number 6 firing with number 1 on overlap, these cylinders being 180 cam/ distributor rotation degrees apart and 360 degrees out of 720 degrees of crank rotation apart so you have to sort this out. If you can bump the engine on the starter with your finger in the number one spark plug hole you can feel for compression being an indicator of number one coming up to firing then check the timing marks and wrench it to align the marks. Then check the distributor rotor position to the terminal positions to see what cylinder it is pointing to. Then correct as necessary.

The factory alignment of the distributor has the number 1 terminal in a straight like with the number one cylinder while the vacuum advance can points at cylinder number 6. The rotor pointing at number one terminal if you verify that number one is at TDC compression. One can consider that with an old engine that the outer ring on the damper has slipped placing tge timing marks incorrectly, but this is an uncommon but greatly feared event so for now assume this is accurate.

Bogie

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good wrench 350 engine. I have rebuilt the Quadrajet carb, and set the idle mixture screws to 2 turns out, replaced the timing gear and timing chain, set them to 0 degrees, and reinstalled the distributor. Replaced spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, solenoid, and contact points. The motor cranks over, and I can hear a gurgling noise coming from the exhaust like it wants to start up. Does anybody have any suggestions as to where I should go from here?
Thank you
Can be cam but most likely distributor timing.

Let’s think about cam first. The way tge book usually tells you to set up the timing gears is with both pip marks, crank and cam gears, in the noon position. That is timing the cam to number 1, front left side as seated behind the steering wheel. Did you do this? The alternate is setting the pip marks caving each other which makes it easier to see your alignments of tge gears but has the cam positioned such that cylinder number 6 is firing.

The distributor is the most likely culprit as it seldom falls back in place aligned. Because as it is removed the spiral on the gear mesh rotates it and the still connected oil pump drive shaft. Upon reinstallation it usually drops a tooth off on reinstallation. Here to check it you’ll have to do through the drama of finding where the cam is in relation to the crank. First off you need to find when number one is ready to fire, since the crank makes two full turns for a complete 4 cycles the TDC mark appears twice one could be number 1 firing and number 6 on overlap or number 6 firing with number 1 on overlap, these cylinders being 180 cam/ distributor rotation degrees apart and 360 degrees out of 720 degrees of crank rotation apart so you have to sort this out. If you can bump the engine on the starter with your finger in the number one spark plug hole you can feel for compression being an indicator of number one coming up to firing then check the timing marks and wrench it to align the marks. Then check the distributor rotor position to the terminal positions to see what cylinder it is pointing to. Then correct as necessary.

The factory alignment of the distributor has the number 1 terminal in a straight like with the number one cylinder while the vacuum advance can points at cylinder number 6. The rotor pointing at number one terminal if you verify that number one is at TDC compression. One can consider that with an old engine that the outer ring on the damper has slipped placing tge timing marks incorrectly, but this is an uncommon but greatly feared event so for now assume this is accurate.

Bogie
thankyou, When I installed the gears, I placed the pip marks in line with each other, meaning my #6 would have been firing. I will go through with your advice, checking for #1 compression and rotor alignment.
I really appreciate your help, thanks a bunch

1 - 3 of 3 Posts