Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a sbc 355 that i need some help with. i just dropped the engine back into the car after adding a 142 supercharger and nos. i need some help with the timing and sparkplugs.

im runing 8.5:1 and a blower cam. the supercharger is set up to produce 8lbs and the nitrous has 125 hp jets. i just need a general idea on what to set the timing at. and what spark plug you guys would recomend since im using the blower and nitrous at the track.

any help would be great. thanks

·
Registered
890 Posts
I would lock out the ignition advance a set the total advance to 30 degrees for
starters. With the NOs you may need to add a ignition retard to take more
advance out on the spray. This would be a starting point, give it what it wants
carefully inspect the plugs for signs of auto-ignition after every WOT run.

I'd go with a cold plug like a autolite AR3911 for starters.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

yea im running a 6al ignition and a Boost timing master that will retard the timing 1 to 3 degrees per lb of boost. so hopefully with the btm retarding the timing in high rpms i will be fine with the nos. Holley said that running nos with a blower is just basically like running a good intercooler. with expected 60% gains. so hopefully it will stay together lol im running all forged internals and iron heads.

this is my first build so for reminders: the total advance is the timing with the engine reved to about 3000 right? thanks

·
Registered
890 Posts
Total advance is initial plus centrifugal.

The plugs I recomended will not fit iron heads; start with a
autolite 292 for early iron heads with a 1 3/16 hex head or
autolite 131 for late iron heads with a 5/8" hex head

These plug are cold and might foul easily if you spend much
time at idle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

yea i will only be running a 125 horse shot of nos. guess i will start with the 28 degrees and go from there. i do need some help how how to figure the timing out. this is my first build. i havnt started the car yet but have it set at TDC on number one so at this point im guessing it doestn have any advance or retard. once i start it how do i need to go about setting the initial timing? should i set this at a certain number? and then what should i set the centrifiicul at? my balancer has a timing scale on it ranging from 0 on up to 40 or 50. just looking for the easiest way to set the total at 28 to start.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry

sorry i thought this was a place i could find good advice not critisisim. this is just a project ive been slowly working on. not a daily driver or a pro race car. i wanted nos and a supercharger so thats what i did. but anyway i guess ill seek the advice elsewere on the timing issue. thanks anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.