Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please for the love of God can somebody help me with my stupid small block 400 starter issue. I have a 1978 Chevy Monaco motorhome and I am fed up with the starter issues. I changed out the flex plate myself took me a couple of months of working on it a little here and there when I can and still it'll start okay for a couple of revolutions and then it starts that God damn grinding b***. And then it won't start again. I've tried shimming it up I've tried shimming it down. I don't know what to do next please help.

·
Registered
15,329 Posts
168 tooth flex/fly uses the angled pattern mounting bolts starter the 153 uses uses the straight bolt pattern starter.

You need to know which flexplate you had vs what you installed and what starter your using.

The primary mount is two bolts that have a knurled shank for an interference fit, adding to the problems GM has used USS thread bolts and metric thread bolts they seem interchangeable but aren’t. You need to know what the engine block is tapped for. Additionally if this used the big old starter with wire wound field magnets then also required is a bracket that bolts to the block on one end and to the brush end cover of the motor using one of the long through bolts that assemble the motor case.

Then there is the issue of the solenoid being in working order and with sufficient throw to engage the starter pinion with the ring gear.

Next on the list is shimming there are kits that both shim the face depth these are more or less circular in shape and the more common shim that pairs the mounting bolts. The circular adjusts fore to aft movement the long paired bolt shim does vertical movement.

The last gem to worry over on rebuilt starters is whether some mechanical jockey somewhere in the history of the starter’s mounting block drilled the holes oversized because he thought the interference fit of the factory bolts was wrong.

Bogie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts