Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my Pontiac 400 is all but finished I want to move onto my SBC 406 that is in my 51 Ford F-1 TRUCK. It has been sitting in my moms garage since I broke it in HS 20 years ago.Engine was really strong back then.It is a 030 400 flat tops simple 3 angle valve job iron head with performer intake, 600cfm and headers,TH350 10 bolt rear,low end machine shop wolverine cam.me and my dad assembled it back in 89?? I want to pull it in the next month and go through it.I am looking for head and cam ideas.it will only be driven locally on pump gas a few times a month at most.I want to be in the 500ft lb area at under 6k rpm on stock crank.if cylinders are good..going flat top forged,profiler 210 alum heads {2.08/1.6} 70cc chambers,XE294 with 1.5 RR.Air gap intake,750 or + carb.i want pump gas and not sure if the 64cc head will be too much and not sure if hyd roller is a worthwhile venture in an engine that will not see much over 5500.what say you

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hydraulic roller is perfect for the rpm range you want. Highly recommend.
On 93 pump gas w/ alum heads, over about 10.5:1 or so is NOT recommended. That being said I ran 11.3:1 in my 383 alum head little hot rod w/ no problem. You need to figure your static compression ratio. Pull the heads, check piston to deck height. Go to Wallace calculators, play with the head CC #'s, and come up with your desired compression ratio. You will then know what CC heads you need. Don't guess and end up buying the wrong heads. A little work will get you the right answer.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Now that my Pontiac 400 is all but finished I want to move onto my SBC 406 that is in my 51 Ford F-1 TRUCK. It has been sitting in my moms garage since I broke it in HS 20 years ago.Engine was really strong back then.It is a 030 400 flat tops simple 3 angle valve job iron head with performer intake, 600cfm and headers,TH350 10 bolt rear,low end machine shop wolverine cam.me and my dad assembled it back in 89?? I want to pull it in the next month and go through it.I am looking for head and cam ideas.it will only be driven locally on pump gas a few times a month at most.I want to be in the 500ft lb area at under 6k rpm on stock crank.if cylinders are good..going flat top forged,profiler 210 alum heads {2.08/1.6} 70cc chambers,XE294 with 1.5 RR.Air gap intake,750 or + carb.i want pump gas and not sure if the 64cc head will be too much and not sure if hyd roller is a worthwhile venture in an engine that will not see much over 5500.what say you
This is a 406 with a hyd roller and an older set of AFR190s'

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hydraulic roller is perfect for the rpm range you want. Highly recommend.
On 93 pump gas w/ alum heads, over about 10.5:1 or so is NOT recommended. That being said I ran 11.3:1 in my 383 alum head little hot rod w/ no problem. You need to figure your static compression ratio. Pull the heads, check piston to deck height. Go to Wallace calculators, play with the head CC #'s, and come up with your desired compression ratio. You will then know what CC heads you need. Don't guess and end up buying the wrong heads. A little work will get you the right answer.

Thanks,jaw22w.
I was def wanting to make sure I stay under 11:1 so the 70cc is prob way to go to live without regrets.also I was under impression that the roller cams earned their money higher in the rpm range.i am wanting to try one if its gonna get me to where I wanna go though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a 406 with a hyd roller and an older set of AFR190s'

those are some great numbers.that is exactly the power and rpm range I want to achieve with this build.do you have cam,compression specs? also you have an idea if a 210 cc head is too much and would kill those mid rpm torque numbers?

·
More for Less Racer
20,175 Posts
Hope you are not going to use the stock short 5.565" long 400 connecting rod??

I'm assuming that is what is in the '89 vintage build??

·
Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycl
7,480 Posts
69BIRDCONVERT400;3007954 I want to be in the 500ft lb area at under 6k rpm on stock crank. Profiler 210 alum heads {2.08/1.6} 70cc chambers said:
. What did you break in the engine?

. You mention both 70cc and 64cc, of course 70cc is prolly more what you want on the street...

. That cam prolly won't HP out till 6200 RPMs... might want to drop down a couple, three cam sizes... would still be around 500 HP and 500 lb.-ft. with those heads... the good Chevy heads HP out easier than Pontiac heads... and Chevy's make torque just as well or better than Pontiacs, Buicks, and Olds if don't go nuts on cam size looking for big RPMs... the Wolverine cam may even suit your purposes, depending on it's spec.s...

. Hydraulic roller lifters/cam fine in any engine... it's usually just a matter of wallet thickness on street engines...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
@ericnova72. I was only about 12-13 years old when I was helping out my dad assemble it but I know its a 72-74 year 400 and im sure it has stock rods.i do know I will be buying forged rods for this build. I have heard about 6 rods.not sure what this is about though.its something I do need to learn.

@buzzlol

it really sat because I broke starter when I put distributer in wrong and it turned wrong way when I let off the key..hey I was 17. I am sure at this point to go with the 70cc head unless I have to go with a forged dish.and the wolverine is really mellow.i kinda want it to be a little rowdy.

·
More for Less Racer
20,175 Posts
I would suggest you go to a 5.7" or 6.0" long rod and the pistons to match, and throw the short stock rods in the trash or see if your machine shop wants to give you $25 or so for them.
They may want them just for the odd core if needed for someone's single replacement down the road.

SCAT would be my preferred rods.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Scat rotating assembly. 5.7-6.0 rods (pick'm) either work very well. Shoot for 10.5-1 with zero deck and .040 head gasket. Either a dished piston with 64cc heads or flat top with 70-72cc heads. A good set of aluminum AFR heads in the 195-200 would work very well. Definitely hyd. roller in the 230-240 range @.050, .550ish lift, 108-110cl, 104-106icl. 750cfm, tall 2 plane high rise. 1 3/4 full length headers. MSD ignition system--set it up for 15-18 initial, 36 total at 2800-3000rpm AND a vac adv. with approx. 10-12 in it.
This would be my initial plan for a build like this. Great grunt engine from a sbc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok thanks for the input,i have another question on the rod size.i have read about clearance issues when changing rod size and I think something about a small base circle cam.will I be safe with the 5.7 ? and what do I gain with the longer rod size? seems it would effect piston skirt..fill me in thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts