Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well heres the deal. I dont know much about building engines so i need some help. I have the books but they are only so much help. I bought a bunch of parts from a guy a while back (he was hard up for money) that included a cam., all bearings freeze plugs, rings, oil pump, and lifters.. and a timing chain set. I paid $100 for it and I would like to use these parts on an 82 corvette motor I have been dragging around with me for years. My first ques. is about the cam. lift .305 valve lift .458 lobe ctrs. 105-115 adv dur 284 .050 dur 218 Its a Crane Blue racer. Now what the heck does all that mean!? I am wondering if this thing is crap or usable. Sec. ques. is would it be horrible to just throw some new stuff in this well maintained motor without doing any machine work? What this comes down to is me being board and broke but I have all this cool stuff to blow up. :D

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey that whats I wanted to here! Does that mean I can use the stock push rods and valve springs? I want to learn more about building engines and I guess to best way is to dig in and do it.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Actually I always recommend new springs. The Z-28 style are cheap and small blocks can always use a set of springs when the cam is better.

But, Yes the stock springs will work.

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I got the new cam in. I will get some engine pre lube and do it for real tomorrow. This motor is in such great shape I am thinking I will get it back to gather and then do a compression test to see if I need to do any other work to it and if not a will slap it in my old truck for a trial. So I can use my old springs and push rods right? Even though it is recommended that I upgrade springs....The rods are an ok length? This is fun and dirty! :sweat:

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Lube everything up with a good cam lube or STP or Lucas and add a bottle to the break in oil. Modern oils will wipe a flat tappet cam out if not treated with additives.

Push rods and rockers will work fine

·
Registered
366 Posts
New or used cam/lifters?

Using used lifters (unless they are matched to their lobes) will cause cam problems on new or used cams.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts