Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Again I am a newbie here and have a question concerning older sbc's that still have the tube and canister holes inplace. I have been through the knowledge base and didn't come across any info

I am planning on warming up the old 283 in my 56 /150 with a 30 over and a little cam . My question is if I use the old tube hole at the back of the block as the PVC conn. to the carb , what should \could be done to the hole that the canister was in under the intake ? Plug?

Stroker56

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
I'm assuming you have an oil filler tube with a threaded bung? In that case, your PCV should screw in there and a line then goes to the carb.

The hole in the back of the block should be used as an air inlet from the air cleaner. There was a metal cap that mounted on/in that rear hole. There was also a cannister down in the lifter valley. I believe they are still available from Corvette suppliers.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The engine is not as built \original. No filler at the front . But has a breather in one valve cover so thats where i was filling. I have the cap that bolts down to the draft hole at the back . So you recommend I run a hose from it to the air cleaner ?

Can I install PVC in the valve cover ?

Do I really need the canister in the lifter valley or will oil just get sucked up in to air cleaner?

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Slightly different scenario, buy still ok.

The cap for the rear hole in the block should mount with a long thin (1/4"?) bolt and the cap should have a tube for a vacuum hose. I would route that to the air cleaner.

If you have a place for the PCV on a valve cover, I would put it there and route that hose to the large port on the carb.

I have essentially the same routing on my '67 without a lifter valley cannister and I don't get any oil in the air cleaner. The air gets sucked into the engine. When you get it set up you should feel a slight vacuum in that line.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
PCV

Stroker56 said:
Thanks for the reply. The engine is not as built \original. No filler at the front . But has a breather in one valve cover so thats where i was filling. I have the cap that bolts down to the draft hole at the back . So you recommend I run a hose from it to the air cleaner ?

Can I install PVC in the valve cover ?

Do I really need the canister in the lifter valley or will oil just get sucked up in to air cleaner?
Doc here:pimp:

The Way I like to do it, and there several ways, all good, but anyway, .....
  • install the PCV in the Left or right Valve cover filler cap with grommet sized to fit a PCV body ID and Valve cover filler cap hole OD. (assuming you have fillers on both sides)
  • Then run the Vacuum line to the intake Manifold with no "Tee's" directly into a manifold Vacuum source.
  • Next install a positive vented Cap on the other filler hole, If you have the standard 283 Cap, toss it and get a vented one.
  • Lastly, Get a rubber Freeze plug sized for the hole in the back of the block, put a little permetex on it and block the hole off with the freeze plug.

The other options If you don't have duel fillers,
  • 1) You can remove, and inspect for clearance (make sure it wont hit a lifter) and Drill the right Valve Cover out to accept a grommet and PCV valve However, you won't have the benefit of an oil baffle doing it this way.
  • 2) you might consider getting some nice chrome Valve covers W/Baffles anyway you"ll have duel fillers AND the grommet Comes with the kit. Eldebrock Signature Series $50 for SBC's (SEE PHOTO of My Setup.)
  • 3)You can get a grommet sized to fit PCV to rear Block hole and install it there..put sealer around the grommet to block, insert the PCV and run the vacuum line as above, Then get a positive breather cap...

Doc :pimp:

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.