Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking to see if anyone has done a SBC swap into a 1993-1998 Body style mustang and was wondering if anyone knows where i can find some information on doing this, if its been done, and how hard it would be. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BTW, i meant 94-98. not the 93 fox bodies.

Well first off because its different. I can pick a v6 one up for around $2k. Insurance will be cheap as hell(me being 16). I like they way they look on pro-stars..and im a Chevy guy, born and raised.

Mostly b/c its different, they look good, and they are cheap. And i can tell everyone im doing a 302 swap and drop a 383 in there..:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to start looking around for someone to make me some motor mounts that will work. lol, this is gonna be an adventure :mwink:

·
Administrator
18,426 Posts
1st...there is no such thing as a V6 SBC........

2nd............How would doing this affect your insurance in any way?

3rd...........putting a SBC in anything is NOT that different. It's pretty normal, as a matter of fact.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1-- OMG ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!??! :rolleyes:

2-- Reg. it as a '93 v6, then pull the motor and do the swap.

3-- I never said it was THAT different, just not as common as say the fox body swaps.

Now since you really have nothing to say that will help me in this please stay out of my thread.:welcome:

·
Registered
417 Posts
If the firing order is not 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, it's not SBC , period. Some bastard thing with a different number of cylinders has to be called something different like maybe a V-6 chevy.

·
Kenneth Howard hates you...
572 Posts
Hold on fellas! Go back and read the man's post.... He said that he could pick up a V6 Mustang for a couple G's and then do a swap to a Small Block Chevy....
1)He never said anything about a V6 SBC
2) His insurance will be cheaper because it would be registered as a V6 Mustang instead of a V8 mustang.
3)It would be different, because how many late 90's do you see at the cruise-ins that are built with a SBC?
Give the kid a break...I say if he is wanting to build something slightly out of the ordinary,let him.
Later,
WEIMER

·
Got Ouzo for touzo
415 Posts
You always this Crabby Poncho? Nevermind I'm sure the majority already know that answer!

1st. I don't see anywhere where it says V6 SBC? Maybe it was edited out.

2nd. Being your age, I'd assume you would know that the lower pwer rated cars/trucks are cheaper for insurance. My S10 might still be registered as a 4 banger???:thumbup:

Great idea putting a SBC in a Mustang, its cheap horse power! Plus you gotta be brand loyal! I'm sure the Chevy gods would frown upon buying the Mustang, but they'll let it slide if you power it with the right mill:thumbup:

bonuts

Guess I took to long writing Weimer. I agree totally!:thumbup:

bonuts

·
Administrator
18,426 Posts
1st....Excuse me for missunderstanding your post.

2nd....Lying to your insurance company about what motor is in your car is NOT a good idea. They do ask, you know.

3rd...Do what you like, it's your car.

If you dobn't like what I have to say in YOUR thread, don't read it. This is public domain.
Just because you don't like what you hear, or read, doesn't give you the right to..........................Oh never mind, your minds made up anyways.

Bonuts....not crabby, just realistic.

3,214 Posts
Yes. the insurance on a V-6 Mustang is cheaper than for a V-8 model. It is also insurance fraud to insure it as a V-6 model and have a V-8 in it. The insurance company can cancel the policy, deny coverage, require back payment for the difference, or file charges for insurance fraud, if they find out.

You provided no information on your location, but you could have some legal problems for emissions with that late a model vehicle.

·
Kenneth Howard hates you...
572 Posts
When asked about insuring my S10 project...the agent typed in the VIN....Then asked if it was a auto/manual....4cyl or V6....I said, it WAS a 4cyl/manual but now it is a V8/auto. He looked at me kinda funny and said, "they didn't put V8's in those"
I told him that I put one in and he said that most insurance companies base their info off of the VIN. The downfall would be if something happened to it and the original coverage stated a 4cyl, the V8 wouldn't be covered. I am looking at specialty vehicle coverage through my agent just because I don't want some jerk whacking my truck and the Insur Co. not covering the custom bodywork.
Later,
WEIMER

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Boys..boys...can't we all just get along...NO I guess not!! I think its kind of funny...SBC in a rustang anyhow!! So your going to lie to your insurance company and hope your luck holds and they never find out...thats what insurance is for, the times when your luck run's out. You won't always get a reply that you agree with or that you think is appropriate...thats tough...live with it!! :p

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
can i be in your thread?

bonuts said:
its cheap

bonuts
^^^^^^
the most realistic comment made thus far.....
:p

in real honesty, i think you might be screwed by the insurance company if you had a v6 car insured, and something happened to the car with a v8 in it, that they would have to cover they 'll take any out they can get. trust me.......
you know how the insurance company says f-you?

"trust me".

then again, they might not ever notice..... but can you afford to find out? :drunk:

·
brains
1,009 Posts
If your in reference to insurance as a V8 costs more to insure then a V6, I think it would be easier to just buy a V8car and pay the insurance, but if you want to do the swap goto a 302 or 351, this way its a bolt in item.

Here are a few things you need to think about using a chevy motor. Driveshaft splines are different, driveshaft length, speedometer cable connections, custom headers, exhaust, Shifter linkage, motor mounts, power steering connections, radiator hoses, electrical wiring, cross member mount location. All these are not just goto your local auto store and buy a part, they require alot of thought and custom parts you cant buy.

Ben

·
brains
1,009 Posts
leroy lucas said:
If you like living dangerous go for insurance is a rip off anyway.

Well your only 16 with probably not much to loose, so from your point of view insurance is a ripeoff. When you get to my age with a house, wife, cars, boats, etc.....insurance becomes more important for protecting your assets and gives you a peace of mind.

Ben

1 - 18 of 18 Posts