Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a sbc in my 53 stude champ coupe--if you have done this swap my questions are --will it fit with original steering and if so does it handle well--also I have seen something about a rack and pinion swap on the original steering
am planing on using a 8" or 9" ford-is there a rear that fits in the stock position-also I saw something about enlarging the hump--any help would be great---thanks studego

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
I have done this swap in other Stude chassis (Larks and Hawks). They are pretty much the same. Yes you can use the center steer stock type arrangement. But they are usually worn out and parts are scarce. I have used an early Cavalier center pivot power rack on these cars and it works good. I also put an old nailhead Buick in a Lark. I had to move the steering box over to clear the starter which was quite a job.

9" 57 Ford wagon or 57-60 or so Ford 1/2 ton pickup will fit. Also Lincoln Versailles(?). All are hard to find.

The stock rear end is the weakest link. I spent many nights replacing spiders, cross shafts, etc. in the stock Studie rear. I believe the rear is the same as 49-55 Ford pass. I know the parts fit. This was back in the sixties. I had a Lark 2-dr with a Paxton blown 301 in her. Then in went the big Buick..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts