Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
two cups of tea
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm only 16&still learning I have an 83 monte carlo that's real nice&tonite I noticed it smoking while I was in the drivethrough&I parked it&looked&oil is leaking...where all should I look&what could of caused this ?????Thanx guys

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
cutthroatkid said:
I noticed it smoking while I was in the drivethrough&I parked it&looked&oil is leaking
Because there is smoke associated w/the leak, there's a fair chance that the valve covers are leaking. They're right above the exhaust manifold/headers, so it's a direct shot for the oil to get onto the hot manifolds.

SBC engines will leak from all the places mentioned by SSedan64, so oil can also drip onto the exhaust pipe(s) from elsewhere, too.

You can tighten up the covers only so much before they're as tight as they can get before deforming the gasket- and at this point, over tightening will cause more leakage than before. So take it easy on how much torque you use.

Usually, tightening a run of fasteners is done from the inner bolts, working your way towards the ends. If this engine has a lot of miles, it might be time to replace the gaskets all together. The oil pan, rear main seal and front timing chain cover/seal are a b***h to do, the v-covers, fuel pump (it has two gaskets- one under the pump itself, the other under the plate between the pump and block) and senders are EZ.

Other places to check are the fiber washer/gasket at the base of the distributor and the intake bolts- but usually these won't cause any smoking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
oil leak

Hi

One thing that should be mentioned, do not over tighten the valve cover bolts. You will bend valve covers. I would just tighten the bolts on the valve covers first and see if the leak stops. I have stopped oil pan leaks by just tightening bolts. Also don't forget to watch your oil level.

·
two cups of tea
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@16 I can recognize a ******...just saying,well I been hanging [email protected] grandfathers friends shop&learning all I can.Well we replaced the line&all coming from my gauge that wasn't it tonite he said it looks like my intake manifold gasket so were gonna replace it&he said the valve seem fine but we mine as replace them too,thanx for all of you're help guys,I was worried it wasn't the rear main seal.he said it dosent look like it but if it is long as I buy the parts he will teach me how to

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
There really isn`t a way the intake can cause a smoking leak, if it leaks it`s to the front or the rear and there`s not much chance enough of it will get on the exhaust manifolds. If the bellhousing or the front of the engine behind the water pump is oily then it has a leak, if not it`s okay. So there would be no point in wasting the time and effort to swap intake gaskets. The valve cover gaskets as mentioned are usually the prime suspect. with the engine cold run your finger under the valve cover on the head to check for oil, remove a couple of spark plugs to see if they have oil around the threads, if so replace the valve cover gaskets and if you use cork gaskets coat them in vaseline so they retain moisture and last alot longer. The valve cover gaskets made of cork usually dry up and get brittle which causes a leak.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Try using a presure washer (if you don't have one go to a car wash). Clean every part of the engine that you can (avoid your aircleaner). Make sure that you get all the grease off the motor (may help using a degreaser) and when you get home you should be able to see where the oil is leaking from, if not run your fingers along the above mentioned areas (make sure you let it cool a little). You will most likely find where it is leaking from.

Good luck,
Eric

·
elkyholic
327 Posts
Just my $.02 worth. It has been my experience that all leaks tend to run down and back on an engine (something to do with physics). So find the highest, most forward point on the engine that is oily and that is where the leak is.
Worthwhile to note that parts that spin will throw the oil all over the place. So oil out on the fenderwalls is from a leak on the front - check the timing cover and front main seal. Oil on your transmission and in the tunnel can be the rear main seal, but usually not when you find oil forward and/or above the back of the motor.
By the way, congrats on having a real car with rear wheel drive and made in Detroit (figuratively). Ricer's are OK, at least they're fun to pass! :D

·
two cups of tea
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So....powerwashed again what I could&it seems the oil is running down on the cattilac converors,its coiming from up top&running down both sides of the oil pan I've had 3 people [email protected] all 3 have said not the valves&not the rear main seal,I'm gonna replace the intake manifold gaskets&the valves to be safe any suggestions on what else to do while I'm @ it?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Dont fix it until you KNOW where it is leaking from. Follow the oil trail up to its highest point on the motor, then you will have a clue. If it is leaking @ the back of the intake then you should be able to reckognize it. Once youve traced the trail to its highest point then clean it up again and then run it just long enough to get a small oil trail again. You should be able to pretty much pinpoint the source that way. Sounds like your basicaly in good hands though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.