Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright, so I'm replacing the leaky oil pan gasket in my Chevelle. I just swapped in a 1997 Silverado with the one piece gasket and the crappy thing leaks....so I had to pull the motor again (long story with why the gasket leaks...I'm not buying that brand again.)

Anyway, in my excitement I forgot to disconnect the flexplate from the torque converter (TH350)! When I got the thing separated, there was the converter (and a bunch of tranny fluid on the floor). Is it okay to just replace it like that? The front seal on the tranny looks fine.

Thanks! :thumbup:
 

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
Joined
·
13,765 Posts
307malibu said:
Allright, so I'm replacing the leaky oil pan gasket in my Chevelle. I just swapped in a 1997 Silverado with the one piece gasket and the crappy thing leaks....so I had to pull the motor again (long story with why the gasket leaks...I'm not buying that brand again.)

Anyway, in my excitement I forgot to disconnect the flexplate from the torque converter (TH350)! When I got the thing separated, there was the converter (and a bunch of tranny fluid on the floor). Is it okay to just replace it like that? The front seal on the tranny looks fine.

Thanks! :thumbup:
I would seperate the converter from the plate, go ahead and replace the front seal while i was there easy and cheap to do place the converter back in the trans and make sure it sits back in place. You do know to spin the converter while pushing on it till it drops in place, you cant do this with it on the plate thats why you need to place the converter back in the trans. And then install the motor back after you get done with your oil pan gasket. JMO. Cole
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
When you push the converter back onto the shaft and have it seated, go ahead and give it another push! In the past I have thought I had it seated properly & then found it would go on another 1/2 inch before seated properly. :drunk:
 

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
Joined
·
6,311 Posts
As long as the torque converter has to come forward to meet the flexplate when you install it, it is installed properly. If you go to install it and find that the torque converter hits the flexplate before the tranny and engine are seated, you need to go one more "clunk" with the converter.

I highly doubt you damaged the front seal, but its so easy and cheap to replace that I would go ahead and do it. The 1% chance that you damaged it is outweighed by the 99% pain of disassembling it a second time to fix it :)

But definitely undo the TC and put it in the tranny before you reinstall. Much easier that way.
 

·
From the middle of the world
Joined
·
1,383 Posts
the converter needs to make 3 "clunks" before it engages properly, first the pump tabs, second the stator's splines and third the input shaft's splines, and yes you won't be able to fit your hand behind it when properly installed.

replace the seal, not worth the chance.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top