Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am making a shopping list for Summit,What I need help with is studs (ARP). and polylocks to enable me to fit a stud girdle on a SBC head, do I need longer studs and poly locks or just the studs, reading some threads on the search function I see mention of people using 2" long studs , my heads have 7/16 " UNC studs.and are 1 1/2" long ish.the only other information that may be important is the valves are +.100 in lenght.Also using Comp Cams stainless roller rockers 1.5 Ratio.All input greatly appreciated .

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
The girdle will come with tall poly locks that fit the girdle. Longer studs may be a good idea but not necessary with the girdle. How much thread is available for the polylock to engage above the rocker arm currently?

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
OK, I am making a shopping list for Summit,What I need help with is studs (ARP). and polylocks to enable me to fit a stud girdle on a SBC head, do I need longer studs and poly locks or just the studs, reading some threads on the search function I see mention of people using 2" long studs , my heads have 7/16 " UNC studs.and are 1 1/2" long ish.the only other information that may be important is the valves are +.100 in lenght.Also using Comp Cams stainless roller rockers 1.5 Ratio.All input greatly appreciated .
Poor fitting girdles are worse than nothing, and unless you are using a lot of valve lift/valve spring tension and spinning it up, there's often no need for a girdle in the first place.

Providing you meet the criteria for needing a girdle, just be sure it fits right and doesn't cause the valve lash to change (usually tightens in my experience).

The polylocs come w/the girdle. You will need 7/16" studs, there's no sense in using 3/8". From the bottom of the hex to the end of the stud will be about 1.9"- 2.1", or what ever length is needed for the valve length and rocker arms you are running.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it all depends upon the lift of your cam up to .600 lift the 1.5 lenth will be fine over that you need the 2"
Thanks for your input,I am presently at .600 lift with 1.5 ratio rockers but same as most/all engine modifiers Im looking at more lift and maybe try 1.6 ratio rockers on the inlets in the future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts