Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am making a shopping list for Summit,What I need help with is studs (ARP). and polylocks to enable me to fit a stud girdle on a SBC head, do I need longer studs and poly locks or just the studs, reading some threads on the search function I see mention of people using 2" long studs , my heads have 7/16 " UNC studs.and are 1 1/2" long ish.the only other information that may be important is the valves are +.100 in lenght.Also using Comp Cams stainless roller rockers 1.5 Ratio.All input greatly appreciated .

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
The girdle will come with tall poly locks that fit the girdle. Longer studs may be a good idea but not necessary with the girdle. How much thread is available for the polylock to engage above the rocker arm currently?

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
OK, I am making a shopping list for Summit,What I need help with is studs (ARP). and polylocks to enable me to fit a stud girdle on a SBC head, do I need longer studs and poly locks or just the studs, reading some threads on the search function I see mention of people using 2" long studs , my heads have 7/16 " UNC studs.and are 1 1/2" long ish.the only other information that may be important is the valves are +.100 in lenght.Also using Comp Cams stainless roller rockers 1.5 Ratio.All input greatly appreciated .
Poor fitting girdles are worse than nothing, and unless you are using a lot of valve lift/valve spring tension and spinning it up, there's often no need for a girdle in the first place.

Providing you meet the criteria for needing a girdle, just be sure it fits right and doesn't cause the valve lash to change (usually tightens in my experience).

The polylocs come w/the girdle. You will need 7/16" studs, there's no sense in using 3/8". From the bottom of the hex to the end of the stud will be about 1.9"- 2.1", or what ever length is needed for the valve length and rocker arms you are running.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.