Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a 355 SBC that is getting a rebuild this winter. It has great top end parts and valvetrain (Roller), but was assembled on a junkyard 4 bolt main engine. ( I don't condone it, but I did get a great deal :) It's in a vega drag car 95% strip, 5% street.

Here is the main question. The car should go thru the lights at 7200 rpm or so, so I am trying to select a rotating mass to work at this rpm (485-525 hp I would guess).

How do we decide if Eagle or Scat parts suffice, or do I need to step up to Callies or Crower parts? I would like to get 2 or 3 seasons out of the short block before teardowns, with the exception of valve springs and the like.

All opinions welcome

Thanks

Vega High

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Isn't winding a 350 up to 7200 sort of compromising its realibility in the first place?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Any forged rotating assembly should hold up to that HP level. The key is good machine work and balance job. Good rods and rod bolts and you should be on your way.

I made ~500HP in a 385ci with a cast nodular iron crank, it has been together for over 6 years. Lots of 1/4 mile passes and thousands of street miles. I just pulled it apart and put new bearings in it and it's going in my buddies Nova. While I didn't spin it to 7200, it did see 6500 regularly. That is with GM 5.565" rods with good bolts. The guy that balanced it, was (RIP) the best around.

I am now running a blown 388ci engine with a forged (no name) 4340 crank and H-beam rods (with ARP Pro Series bolts) not sure how much power it makes, but it is well over 650HP and has been beat on a bit with no problems. When I had the crank balanced the machinist said it was a very good crank (judging by the material he had to remove and how hard it was). The Eagle 4340 SBC cranks are rated at 1,000HP the cast ones are rated at 500HP.

Now if you want peace of mind and a great American made crank then you can't go wrong with Crower or Callies. There a few other choices as well. It really comes down to your budget and how often and hard you plan on running the car. Overkill in this department is not a bad thing.

Royce

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
I have a stock steel crank and splayed caps. I shift (when running it hard) at 7300. I do not feel a bit uneasy about it. Just be sure to balance it properly.

Your killer for longevity will be piston speed.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
light pistons & good rods can make a so so crank last so much longer...less weight being swung around

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
tm454 said:
I hate drag cars trying to run on the street...dosn't work!! I know for a fact...I have rescued a few!!!

Go here for some help: www.godragracing.com/

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
i love blasting my big block cuda down the street. granted you have to slow down at the school zones. the dragstrip isnt so sceneic, but a nice cruise through the forest preserve thats a reason to live. plus you got that nice bubble the new cars dont have. i dont live close to a track. to me streetability is very important.

be smart. dont speed,or clown around, when people are around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts