Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I need some general advise on my project motor buildup. Basically will it work or not is my main question. My goal is to have a streetable 396 ci, 500hp, blower motor on pump gas, with EFI. Stop me right here if you think I am out of my mind with this build and I need to go back to the drawing board. I plan to start with a forged rotating assembly 8 to 1 pistons. Which leads me to my next question. Do I need to run a forged crank? Hey any advise or flames on my post will be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Yes you will need forged crank if you plan on spankin this thing a few times. I have seen people get away with cast 350-400 cranks on street machines. But then again I've seen the nose break off a cast crank blower motor. It ain't pretty..

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Definately not crazy. I am just curious what kind of hardware you are planning to use for the EFI. If you used a centrifical super charger it would be easy, but the roots will be a challenge. I guess you would have to devise a way to mount injectors above the supercharger unless you can find room in the intake somewhere, which would be much better for fuel distribution.

Chris

·
brains
1,009 Posts
For what your doing you probably wont need a forged crank. I have built a few 6-71 blower motors all in the 525-575 hp range and I have never used a forged crank with them.

Ben

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies the clearance for the injector fuel rails did not cross my mind as being a problem. I was going to use my obd 1 pcm from my 89 camaro which is a tbi setup no fuel rails. Do you see any problem with me using tbi vs tpi setup? Oh as to going centrifugal I kinda like the look of the old school blowers and I didn't want to spend an extra g on the blower eventhough it would make life easier and make a ton more power going centrifugal. I definitely see what your saying.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I dont think there is any way that pcm and one TB will cut it. You are definately looking at needing a pair of TBs and you will have to make sure you have enough injector for your power level. You need a fully programmable ECU and there is no way in h ell that someone will be able to burn one and it work on the first shot for something like that. I am running a DIY ecu that would work for your application. If you get serious about it and want information, let me know.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts