Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this site and have not introduced myself untill now because I did not have much to say, but... I posted an ad for car parts and to my surprise I got a responce. I spent a little time getting info for this person (not much) but I get a second reply that is nothing short of a scam, The Nigerian scam as it is known. That was two days ago and today I get another reply that looks just as fishy. Anyone else out there getting these?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
scams

Welcome to the club. Most anyone that has posted stuff for sale, particularly, anything with a major price tag on it has gotten at least one of those scam deals.

Unfortunately theres not a lot can be done about them, due to it being an international dealings and Nigeria wont do a thing about it.
I got one when I was selling a car. I went along with them to the point of getting thier check, which I turned over to my local PD for a training aid.
The check they sent was written on a corporate check from a company in Wisconsin. It looked legit in all respects, except the account number was bogus. I even contacted the bank it was written against. Got ahold of a dumb blonde and she didnt know what to do with the info, and wasnt smart enough to connect me to a bank official.
Oh well. I did have fun leading the Nigerian clown on though.

And yes, she was a blonde, as that was the last question I asked her before I hung up on her.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
scams

Thats the sad part about it. Unless you can get the Treasury dept involved theres not a lot you can do if you allow yourself to be taken on these deals.
A local guy lost not only a pristine 55 chevy bel air coupe, but $15,000 in cash over the deal. Basically he gave them the car and paid the freight to send it to them as well.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
scams

To those that arent aware of how they operate, they will offer to buy your item sight unseen and offer to send you a check for the amount of the item plus the cost of the freight to send it to whereever.
Being in a rush to get the bucks, people will cash the check and ship off the goodies. A couple weeks later, they get a letter from their bank that the check was bad, this letting you know you are out whatever the item was you sold, plus the cost of the freight, and often you will have a nasty letter from your bank telling you that you are overdrawn.

Quite often, people will have spent the money they thought they were getting in the check, only to wind up having to float a loan to get out from under the whole mess.

Usually the scenario is that the person contacting you initially will describe himself as a purchasing agent for another party, and will negotiate the deal.
Next you will hear from a second individual perporting to be the selected freighting agent for the as yet unnamed purchaser. You can rest assured that within 48 hrs after receiving their check, they will be contacting you wanting you to immediately get the freight arrangements made and ship the item.
If someone offers to send you the money to pay the freight, this should immediately set off an alarm.
When I sell things over the net, I accept only Postal Money Orders, Western Union Telegraph Money Wires, or CHC. ( Cold Hard Cash).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My girl told me she saw an almost identical e-mail letter on the news a while back and told me it was a scam. Then she went online and looked up scams and showed me the same letter I'd received from them. Just too bad you can't do something to stop them. If I tried something like that I'd be making little rocks out of big rocks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.