Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to build a 496 ,, going to be my first motor build ever. going to have my cusion & uncle help me. just wondering what rpms it will hold to. going to be a pump gas motor ,about 550 to 600 hp range without going past 6500 rpms. may be even lower. are these cranks any good sounds kinda cheap at $300. how much lighter are they??

·
I put up the tools against$300
689 Posts
what do you plan to do with this motor? Do you have a budget that your trying to stick to? Do you already have the block and heads or are you still looking for something?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
If you plan on a street only motor and don't beat on it to much it should be ok. I've heard they are a little hard to balance.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ditto on the hard to balance. I have also heard that they are a pretty good budget crank as well though, dont have any experiance with one.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I used a Scat 9000 crank and Scat 6" i-beam rods in my 408. The machine shop had no problems balancing it internally. It was consistently ran to 7000rpm in mud bogs with no issues.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
I have sold over a dozen of the Scat 9000 sbc cranks and have had NO problems with them. I have three more in my own small blocks 2-383's and a 406.

I also have built a couple of the 496 (4.25 stroke) Scat 9000 crank motors. No problem balancing. I just completed my own 496. I used a stock 454 balancer and a new style (one piece rear seal) flywheel. This is in an early block. The balance guy had to drill the flywheel weight back to early specs and then balanced the crank with only two drillings. This engine has Keith Black flattops and Scat rods. B&M huffer..

My balance guy loves the 9000 series as they are "soft", easy to drill.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
swvalcon said:
If you plan on a street only motor and don't beat on it to much it should be ok.
What would be the point in having 550-600hp then? I don't have anywhere near that much power or that big of an engine and I beat the snot out of it. I could only imagine what I'd do with that much power....

·
ASE Certified Master Machinist
1967 Chevrolet Biscayne 10-71 blown 433 Big Block Chevy, T400 & 12 bolt 3.73 rearend
332 Posts
swvalcon said:
I've heard they are a little hard to balance.
They aren't hard to balance necessarily, but the 4.25 stroke BBC cranks I have used from Scat did require a few slugs of mallory to get them to balance. The engines I have built with them have all been street engines, but I have not had any problems out of them.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
do you think the scat 9000 cast pro crank is stronger than a stock cast GM crank ? kinda curious if a 3.48 sbc 350 scat 9000 cast pro crank is stronger than a 3.48 stock cast GM crank ?

would you push stock cast GM crank 425HP and put it through a regular street and occasional 1/4mi beating ? would it even be worth attempting ?

Mustangsaly

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
All I'm going to say is that stock cast cranks are a lot stronger than people make them out to be.

10 months ago I put a small supercharger on the 9.7:1 two bolt main cast crank 350 in my Blazer and it sees 6000 rpm just about every time I go out with it. I don't know how long it will stay together but I've pretty much accepted the fact that it'll eventually come apart and there's nothing I can do about it except build a bigger, better engine.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,734 Posts
In circle track applications, the 9000 is a lit fuse. You never know how long the fuse is though. A GM crank will outlive the 9000.

Don't let a cheap crank cost you a lot of money replacing a block when you run over it.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
blazin72,

yrs ago we raced a 2bolt main 11.1CR or so 350 with a cast crank, stock rods, and I think a set of used forged pistons and a set of double humps. the 350 was maybe 375HP or 400HP. we beat it BAD ! it never came apart.

but this 400+ HP (hoping for closer to 425HP 450HP range) 350 will be beat too, I'm just not as brave now, plus I'm using new parts with a set of vortecs with 202 160s and a full machined block. and prob scat I beam rods (just cause reconditioned GM rods with arp fasteners will be close to the same money) and a set of Hypereutectic Pistons and around 10.1CR. I'm just trying to decide on a crank now, I do have a good stock GM cast crank.

I do feel the 2 bolt main block and cast crank is under estimated, kinda like stock GM rods. but that might be just me.

Mustangsaly

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
If i had a good stock gm cast crank I would sure use it before spending good money on a after market. Their a lot better than most people think. Even the stock rods if set up right work just fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts