Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros and cons about using a scattershield vs a stock bellhousing apart from the added safety factor of the scattershield? I have heard of alignment and starter mounting problems with a scattershield. Are there any brands that are better than others? The application is for a SBC to a M21.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Scattershield

The Pro's are, you keep your feet the Con's well you already know, Lake wood is the S/C of choice, I've blown 2 pressure plates up behind SBC the last one took the block, crank, front imput shaft and the ears off the Muncie, I'm talking about on the street! The starter mounts on the block so no problem there, if you turn the SBC over 7000 rpm you should indicate the bellhousing "IN" Lakewood sells offset bushings for this, you basically mount a dial indicator on the end of the crank turn the motor over by hand and the bellhousing hole should have as close to 0 runout to the crank as possible ,if the car is only a HYD cam motor just bolt it on. Until you've seen a broken flywheel press.plate or clutch cut thru a car you just cannot believe what they can do, period! After all, one legged people drive automatics or use hand controls....Good luck

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,730 Posts
Aftermarket bells are made with rather wide tolerances and they need the trans hole aligned with the pilot hole using off set dowels. This is more inportant for multi disc clutches than street clutches. Other than that they are just fine. SOme time the depth is a little different so double check you are getting full engagment of the pilot hole. Most street guy's won't have problems I don't think.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I just bought a Lakewood and had it dialed in by my machine shop. Quite a bit heavier and and much more substantial. No starter alignment issues. I'm going to upgrade to a billet fly wheel instead of cast though, as billet is much less likely to blow up. The only fitment issue I had was with my oil pan drain plug. I have a Miloden kickout style pan and the drain plug is straight off the back of the pan. There is not enough clearance to get the plug out so I had to notch the scattershield some what to gain clearance. I guess that means I loose the SFI rating!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts