Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just stumbled into this and am trying to locate an even better web site that might help explain the exact techniques this guy is using to form the outside and interior of this car. But just this set of pictures blew me away. More pictures here http://page.olesiafx.com/a-luxury-car.html

·
Registered
547 Posts
Looks to be alot of work,,but he did a nice job,, just wonder how fragile it is? a slight bump could be major, I would think..
Not much different than using styrofoam to make parts.. but they are usually used for plugs for a fiberglass or plastic parts

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
A buddy of mine did that on an old 61 Plymouth 4dr. years ago, it was bizarre looking to say the least and a cop magnet. The new foam is a lot tougher than you would think, I used some to block in the corners of my patio to keep the birds from nesting there, it was a bear to smooth after it hardened. I don't think it will do the 5 mph crash test though. :thumbup:

·
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang
507 Posts
I have built several 2-seat aircraft using foam and fiberglass as the primary structure. In building the aircraft we shaped the foam for the contour we wanted and then layed up fiberglass / epoxy over the foam, and then sanded and painted the fiberglass. We used woven fiberglas cloth instead of the loose automotive glass fiber one typically sees today in the auto shop.

I don't see any glass work in the pictures (the body surfaces sure don't look like he applied paint right over the foam), but what we did to build aircraft does not look dissimilar to what the fellow is doing in the pictures. Using this technique, you can get literally any shape or contour you want. The strength comes from the thickness of the fiberglas layup and the orientation of the woven cloth. I would think it could just as strong as a glass body you might find on a Corvette.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.