Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Supporter of the 4.3 liter V6
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Converted a 91 camaro to H4 headlights, just a cheap set off eBay, and it seems the lenses are getting cloudy, starting at the top. What is going on here? I installed a HD harness and the bulbs are a cheap set that came with the lenses, I think 90/100watts with blue coating. Is the cloudiness causes by the temp of the bulbs burning the coating off or is it something else?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Make sure that the headlight vent and the weep hole at the bottom are kept clean and unrestrictive.

One of the biggest problems with this type of light is the heating and cooling cycles that the headlight goes through. If you could imagine, with the headlights on, the temperature inside the lens rises dramatically and the air inside the lens area is heated. Pressure is disapated through a vent in the housing to avoid builtup pressure. When the lights are turned off, cooling takes place and the temperatures inside the lens will deminish causing an intake of outside air (which could contain water vapor) to be taken inside the lens. In most cases, the water vapor will condense on the lens and and lamp housing with any excess moisture running out the weep hole. The inside of the lens may become discolored and a film of water vapor and dirt may coat the inside of the lens. Clean the inside of the lens with alcohol to remove any stain build up. Remember, allow plenty of time for an alcohol vapor to disapate from the lens, before turning them on, or risk an explosion.

This is the primary difference between open headlight lens which require bulbs and sealed headlight lens. Back in the 30's, was when the advancement came, so in essence, we have moved back in time to an inferior lighting system.

·
Supporter of the 4.3 liter V6
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for responding with the first sensible answer since I posted this. That sounds right and I bet since the bulbs are 100 watt high beams, that heat is the key factor here

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.