Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Firebird blocked and ready for paint. I was going around the car spraying the sealer and then I got a huge amount of dry spray on my fender, hood and door. It looks like sandpaper. I've never used a sealer before, I imagine the coat is thin. Should I block out the dry spray and then lightly block the rest of the car? The sealer is sprayed over a mix of polyester primer and spots of glaze.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
The term sealer covers a lot of products. But whether it is lacquer, urethane, or epoxy the advice is the same. Let dry, sand, reapply. Some guys spot a coat or two of sealer on break throughs and stuff then come back next day and sand off the fuzz and seal the whole job and proceed wet on wet if nothing else is needed.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The term sealer covers a lot of products. But whether it is lacquer, urethane, or epoxy the advice is the same. Let dry, sand, reapply. Some guys spot a coat or two of sealer on break throughs and stuff then come back next day and sand off the fuzz and seal the whole job and proceed wet on wet if nothing else is needed.
It's a urethane sealer. I guess I'll block the car again and reseal.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Depending on how much of what you are spraying over, it is possible that the base paints or sucking the solvent out of your sealer causing it to dry coat. When paint is sprayed the solvents should travel to the surface and evaporate. Too many layers can act like a sponge and suck the solvent down into the previous layers before the fresh paint can become wet and get a smooth finish.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depending on how much of what you are spraying over, it is possible that the base paints or sucking the solvent out of your sealer causing it to dry coat. When paint is sprayed the solvents should travel to the surface and evaporate. Too many layers can act like a sponge and suck the solvent down into the previous layers before the fresh paint can become wet and get a smooth finish.
Interesting, but I'm sure it's my gun. The drivers side looks fine. When I sprayed the passenger side the gun started spraying dry. The vent on the gun cup was clogged.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts