Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sealers vs. uerethane primer

Lets hash it out! I've always been a stickler for using a sealer just before applying paint. Some of my local compadres say that I can sand out a completely coated uerethane primer and paint over it. Suppose to save money and is just as good as a coat of pre-paint sealer as long as I dont sand through primer and have spots of old paint and acrylic and polyester primers showing. Let me hear what you have to say. Oh, and one more question. Does the color of the sealer/primer really make any difference on how the paint might look in the end? It looks to me that if it covers, it covers.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
full coverage is full coverage but the proper shade of sealer for the color you are shooting will cover quicker. You can shoot over finish sanded urethane primers no problem. A quality 2K sealer will however provide better adhesion and an epoxy sealer adds durability and a solvent barrier. 1K sealers aren't worth using IMO.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Your friends are right, sealing a properly prepped car is just adding orange peel and dirt. On a none properly prepped car it can save you lots of time and money.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,328 Posts
I am with p8nter to a point. If you want the best, cleanest, flatest paint, sand the urethane primer and paint over it. If you want some added "protection" from chipping and what not, an epoxy primer as a sealer will give you that.

Sealers are basically a "bandaid" for a problem like sand thrus or other poor prep. They are also a "safety net" just in case and provide more uniformity from job to job.

But I personally love shooting right over that sanded urethane primer. This is of course a QUALITY urethane primer. If you can't paint right over the top of it, then you shouldn't be using it. There are some urethanes that can be a little soluable, avoid them.

Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts