Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I replaced the windshield channel on my 66 gto. The car has since been painted and put back together but the painter did not seam seal under the new channel like I asked him to. So there is a bit of a gap between the new channel and the piece of the firewall the channel sits on, allowing water, air and exhaust to enter the interior. The caulking seam sealer is too big to get it where I need it to go and I tried putting some on my finger and spreading it but that didn't work either. so I am wondering if anyone has an idea on how I can close this gap. Thanks in advanced.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,312 Posts
All I know is that was seriously done wrong! But now, without pulling the windshield all you can do is use some thin tool like these in the upper right of the photo. But really, I would think about removing the windshield and doing it correctly. There is a very good chance if it's not sealed properly and painted over to protect it that it will leak and or rust again. It blows me away that the guy didn't seal it properly, he must have never done one of these cars, that is a standard repair (rusted window channels) on EVERY GM car made in the sixties and seventies.

Brian

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,312 Posts
By the way, "allowing water air and exhaust" to get in, how big were the gaps? That sounds crazy! I have done too many of those rusted A body window channels to count, I have never had that big of a gap. But honestly, I also fully welded them in so there was no need for seam sealer at all. Do you have any photos? This just sounds crazy. I wonder if they missed some window urethane that isn't sealed properly or something. This just sounds kinda crazy. A seam leaking water, yep, that would be the norm, but big enough for air and exhaust, that sounds nuts.

Brian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts