Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 350 Chevy with headers. I was using Rat Gaskets, single port copper insert type. I was getting a muted ticking sound like a leak. I have pulled header and it doesn't show signs of big leak but I am looking for suggestions of a better [email protected]

·
Registered
123 Posts
if no indications of a leak are apparent on the exhaust gaskets look elsewhere!you said a muted ticking,how good is your hearing?not joking here just looking for the same thing you are,the answer!imentioned the hearing because my sons have such good hearing [their mother hears a mouse peeing on cotton late at night while a thunderstorm is in progress!] me, i cant hear the wednesday sirens!dont let minor exhaust escapees give you grief !when they become major enough to repair you will know where to effect that repair!hey!!! i think i just said 'DON'T FIX IT IF IT AIN'T BROKE" in twice or three times as many words as needed. figures , i still cant tie my shoelaces! see ya! jimm

·
Lost in the 60's
15,245 Posts
Might just be a pin hole in one of the welds. I would just do like Jimm said run it, If that is what it is it will get a little bigger some day and you will be able to find it. :)

[ May 06, 2002: Message edited by: Henry Highrise ]</p>

·
Registered
413 Posts
I had an exhaust leak that would never go away. I changed header gaskets, doubled up on gaskets. Got to the point that I could swap out a header in 15 minutes. After doing this repeatedly over one summer I finely dumped some trany fluid down the carb in the hope that the smoke would lead to an exhaust leak. Turns out the leak was at the exhaust crossover at the intake manifold. The metal shim I put in there blew out. I fixed it up and havent had a problem since.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have had plenty of exhaust leaks and I usually find mine by starting a cold engine, and running my hand around the suspected areas. If you have a leak you will feel the exhaust gas on your hand. Do this before the pipes have a chance to get hot, you have to act quick.

Second, I had some headers that would not seal to the block once, after using several diferent type of gaskets, I tried the stock exhaust manifold gaskets, and they fixed the problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use copper RTV silicon between gasket and heads and gasket and headers. Seems to work pretty good and dosn't burn out, but you have to let it set up over night for best results.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Dave, Also keep in mind that if copper gaskets were the trick thing to seal engines with, Detroit would be doing it. In the future, use Fel-Pro, they are the best, period.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts