Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago I purchased one of those Craftsman Tool Sets to give me a basic first set of tools (not the biggest set they made, but a pretty good assortment).

Now that Sears is no more :(, I noticed that Craftsman tools are being sold at Lowes so they must have bought the brand. Does anyone know if they honor the warranty on the old tools?

I guess if not, I've been thinking of upgrading my sockets anyway...

·
Registered
660 Posts
the warranty is followed as stated in the previous post however the quality of Craftsman tools has dropped in my opinion.
I have a set of Craftsman tools bought in 1972, 2 years ago the 1/4" drive ratchet broke.
it was replaced at the local Lowes store but that one broke in less than a month.
I have gone through 3 more 1/4" ratchets since then.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Had a funny encounter with a Sears tool person. My torque wrench bit the dust, purchased in 1966 after my first trip to Nam. Tried to get it exchanged and the kid (20 - 25 years old) told me "we don't exchange those after one year". I informed him that when I purchased this tool ALL Craftsman hand tools were warrantied for life. He refused to do the exchange. I asked for the Department Manager. A couple of minutes later he comes back with a gentleman about my age. He looked at the wrench and told the kid to get a replacement. They no longer carried that model so a new one one step up was handed over. I thanked him and as I walked away I heard the manager tell the kid that when someone comes in with a tool older then you are...exchange it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Years ago I purchased one of those Craftsman Tool Sets to give me a basic first set of tools (not the biggest set they made, but a pretty good assortment).

Now that Sears is no more :(, I noticed that Craftsman tools are being sold at Lowes so they must have bought the brand. Does anyone know if they honor the warranty on the old tools?

I guess if not, I've been thinking of upgrading my sockets anyway...
FULL STATEMENT FROM LOWE'S CORPORATE COMMUNICATIONS:
"We will honor all lifetime warranties no matter where the CRAFTSMAN hand tool was purchased. We ask that customers bring in the item, and we'll replace it if we have the product.May 30, 2019

·
Registered
548 Posts
Joe that statement is some what correct, at Lowes if they sell the same part number that is shown on your tool, they will replace it.

I tried to replace a Phillip's screw driver 123456 and they sold 456789, they would not replace it.
Another item I tried to replace was a 1/4 drive ratchet again same thing they were not same part number, so no replace.
Lastly if you have a socket, they will not replace it, unless they sell it as a separate item, which they don't. they only sell sets and will not break up sets.

I have had better luck at Ace Hardware stores and via craftsmen web site.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I don't know about warranties being honored, but Craftsman tools are now being made by Stanley Black & Decker. There's a new plant in north Fort Worth less than 10 miles from my house. The completion was delayed by Covid, but I think they may now be up and running. According to their website, their goal is to build even more plants in the U.S. (y)

Sky Cloud Plant Car Road surface

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Sears stores were always good about replacing broken or worn out tools. For ratchets, they would give you a box of parts that contained everything but the handle casting itself. I have one that's probably close to 50 years old that got new internals around 20 years ago. It still works great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ace did replace mine (a few years back) after a bare knuckle fight (as described above) but i thought you had to mail them all back now? NAPA also sells craftsman, they just give you a website address. and for the cost of shipping these days some tools aren;t worth it ! i usually buy somewhere else now, northern or home depot (i think they have the lifetime deal too?) i think harbor freight is not very good ?? although they exchanged a tool for me that had changed brands there, the "no hassle" is kind of worth a broken tool once in awhile (??)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have been looking to replace my Chraftsmen 12 point sockets sets after a family member stole a bunch of my tools and I looked Hi and low at Lows Napa ect... None available!!!! You can get worthless 6 points everywhere all you want but find 12 points is like hitting the lottery !!! their is no 1/4 inch drive 3/8 drive or 1/2 drive available no one is selling them!!!!
Their web sights at both stores are worthless searching for them!!!!! I gave up and bought them on Ebay at least I got some.
I am sure the warranty will be the same! fact of the matter Buy Snap on or Mack and hope you can find a Truck for warranty.But I for one will not be buying Chraftsmen ever again I will start replacing all my sets for over priced SnapOn.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You can say what you want about Harbor Freight, but in nearly 30 years of using their sockets I have broken one, a 3/8" drive 14mm socket adapted to 1/2" and on a IR Titanium impact wrench. They replaced it no hassle. I have also yet to break my first Harbor Freight air tool.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts