Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1949 Dodge pickup with a whopping 80 hp flat head 6. 10 years ago I drove it to where it now sits. I got the truck to teach myself about cars, now my 10 year old is interested Awesome! I have been messing with getting it started and the started engages but doesn't turn over, just smoked the 6volt battery. I've had some great input on electrical issues but noticed this truck has a keyed pulley to allow for a hand crank...After building a crank to try and turn the engine it appears that my problem is that the motor is seized (makes sense the starter can't turn it). I gave all 6 cylinders an ample drink of Marvel Mystery oil and they have been stewing for a week. I'm on the crank with a breaker bar and 4' pipe and no-go Still can't turn it. Any tricks welcome!!! :confused:

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
Jmooner said:
I have a 1949 Dodge pickup with a whopping 80 hp flat head 6. 10 years ago I drove it to where it now sits. I got the truck to teach myself about cars, now my 10 year old is interested Awesome! I have been messing with getting it started and the started engages but doesn't turn over, just smoked the 6volt battery. I've had some great input on electrical issues but noticed this truck has a keyed pulley to allow for a hand crank...After building a crank to try and turn the engine it appears that my problem is that the motor is seized (makes sense the starter can't turn it). I gave all 6 cylinders an ample drink of Marvel Mystery oil and they have been stewing for a week. I'm on the crank with a breaker bar and 4' pipe and no-go Still can't turn it. Any tricks welcome!!! :confused:
Patience is the key. Try some tranny fluid or some penetrating oil in the cylinders. I also would loose the pipe. A breaker bar should be more than sufficient. Just keep working at it, back and forth. They generally always will break free using these methods.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
T-bucket23 said:
Patience is the key. Try some tranny fluid or some penetrating oil in the cylinders. I also would loose the pipe. A breaker bar should be more than sufficient. Just keep working at it, back and forth. They generally always will break free using these methods.
Slow and suttle. Little back little fro.
Plugs removed of course. :welcome:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.